Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Kind of silly question? (How to BF??)

Default Kind of silly question? (How to BF??)

I don't mean to gloat, but I am doing SO WELL with the breastfeeding thing! My DD and I have an EXCELLENT latch, and she's gaining weight and getting chubby cherub cheeks!

That all being said, I'm now wondering if I'm even doing this right. Each feed I offer her one breast. I have a bracelet that keeps track of which side she nursed at last time as well as what time she last fed. She's feeding every 2-4 hours and spends about 20-30 minutes at the breast before she nods off. On occasion she'll unlatch but still be hungry, and I'll offer her the other side which she'll take for a minute or two before she falls asleep.

My question is am I doing this right? She's 16 days old today, and I want to ensure my milk supply is equal between the two breasts (which it seems to be so far). Should I continue the way I am? Or should I offer BOTH breasts to her each feed for a limited amount of time? And that being said, how do I keep track of which side to start with each time?

Or am I overthinking this all??

Thanks in advance!
    Last edited by *Erie*; June 27th, 2007 at 09:45 AM.

Default Re: Kind of silly question? (How to BF??)

Oh my goodness, do not change a thing!!! That is an order!
    Sounds normal and perfect to me. Great job, mama!! So happy for you!

About keeping track, is the bracelet working? If it were me, I would be able to tell by which breast felt fuller.

Molly

Loving mama to JP (DS, 1/03 ~ nursed 6 mos), EL (DD1, 9/05 ~ nursed 4 yrs), EJ (DD2, 3/08 ~ nursed 3 yrs 9 mos), and
    JM (DD3, 6/12 ~ currently nursing), all born naturally
    Devoted wife to SAHD P, my hero
    A few of my favorite things that I've discovered on the forum: co-sleeping, baby-wearing, tandem nursing, baby-led solids, cloth diapering, APing, selective vaccination...the list goes on

Congratulations! I'm glad to hear that everything is going well!

My understanding is that you should "finish the breast" rather than switching sides on a set schedule. If baby is still acting hungry after finishing one side, then offer the other breast.

The best way to track whether or not baby is getting enough is by tracking wet & poopy diapers.
    Lynn
    DS1: bf 7/2006 -> 4/2009; multiple food allergies
    DS2: bf 9/2009 -> ???
    ; multiple food allergies
    Breastmilk Donor - http://hmbana.org/index/donatemilk
    Click HERE to learn about baby led solids (BLS) / baby led weaning (BLW)

Thanks girls!

This is the bracelet that I have - http://www.milkbands.com/ And I really like it. Sometimes I "cheat" and if she only fed for a few minutes from one side last feed, I'll start her again on that side next time.

I'm not so worried about her getting enough (she gained 6oz by her first week checkup!) but it was more about keeping up my supply! Thank you so much for the encouragement! I just realized after 2 weeks that I had no idea if I was doing this right!

No problem. The bracelet is a good idea! I think starting on the same side you finished on, if it was only a few minutes, is a good way to do it.

Molly

Loving mama to JP (DS, 1/03 ~ nursed 6 mos), EL (DD1, 9/05 ~ nursed 4 yrs), EJ (DD2, 3/08 ~ nursed 3 yrs 9 mos), and
    JM (DD3, 6/12 ~ currently nursing), all born naturally
    Devoted wife to SAHD P, my hero
    A few of my favorite things that I've discovered on the forum: co-sleeping, baby-wearing, tandem nursing, baby-led solids, cloth diapering, APing, selective vaccination...the list goes on

Sounds like you're doing great! I wear a scrunchie or pony tail rubber band around the my wrist to remind me which side I need to start of for the next feeding.

I've always offered both breasts, but after month 3 became better about emptying the first before moving to the next. Once I see the really white opaque mik (hind milk) I know my lo is toward the end of the feeding...if he gets too fidgety b/c it's too empty for him I switch him to my other side.
    Mom to Colin Robert - Born on January 28, 2007

Check out my website:
    www.nycbreastfeeding.com

Your supply will stay just right for your baby as long as you watch your baby and feed her when she's hungry.

I have a ring that I switch back and forth. I also made a diaper log I found helpful when my little one changed her routine. Sometimes I couldn't remember how many diapers she'd had (severe babybrain)....sometimes they were barely wet and sometimes great. I also put a spot for feeding times and poops too. It helped because my dd would sometimes have green or mucusy poops so it helped to see how often this was happening. I could tell if she was staying on one side long enough or not. HTH!

You are doing everything exactly right! One of the most important reasons to let the baby finish the first breast before offering the second is so that they get the hind milk (the richer milk with all the calories and fat they need for nutrition and brain development), which comes as the baby drains the breast.

Congratulations on your daughter, and on doing so well with BF'ing!
    Erin - Hayden James is my beautiful boy - we've been nursing happily for two years, with no end in sight!

Change the language, change the reality.