Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Teething/Medication Question

Default Teething/Medication Question

I wasn't sure where to post this because it's not really directly related to breastfeeding (other than the fact that I woke up horribly engorged this morning because of this). But, have any of you tried the teething tablets? They're homeopathic, you place them under the baby's tongue, they dissolve and supposedly help with any pain the infant is feeling. Well, I gave a dose of these to DD last night because she kept chewing on her hands, my fingers, etc and crying out in pain. She's been running a low grade fever too, her ped says she's teething. I was desperate to help her and Tylenol wasn't helping at all. So, I sent DH to get some of the teething tablets that a friend just raves about. Anyway, DD slept for 12 hours after taking a dose of those!! Does anyone know if they are truly safe? Have any of you used them before?

I was glad to give DD the rest she needed but I'm afraid to try those again (I won't be trying them again until I speak with her doc) because it just doesn't seem normal to me for a baby to sleep that long at one time! I just wanted to see if any of you had a similiar experience. DD usually sleeps a lot at night, anywhere from 6-10 hours. But, this was by far the longest stretch she's ever gone.

Well, any feedback would be appreciate, as always!
    Amber
    Mommy to Bridget (12/20/05) and Brady (9/6/07)

Default Re: Teething/Medication Question

Dang girl 12 hours is awesome! I know you're engorged but i would love to sleep that long..lol

I give my Elias those pills when he's teething..he now has two teeth but all it does it relieve the discomfort and doesn't make him sleep longer

Well, I did pump a couple of times after she fell asleep, before going to bed myself. But I tend to start to get engorged if she doesn't nurse or I don't pump after about four and a half hours. I let myself go for over six accidentally last night. I figured she would wake up for certain before me. I ended up having to pump in order to be completely comfortable after she nursed and still got about 8 extra ounces! I'm half afraid to use those tablets again!
    Amber

I used those with dd#1 and #2 - FABULOUS things! It relieves the pain and let's them rest - I would keep her on it.

I might try them again. I was researching them online and found a few reviews of mothers who had tried them and their DC's slept like that after the first time they were given the tablets but not again afterwards. Maybe her sleeping 12 hours was just a one time thing! It just doesn't seem normal for a baby that young to sleep that long!
    Amber