Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Painful breasts, large lump, help!

Default Painful breasts, large lump, help!

Hello all:

I am currently nursing my 8 1/2 month old and it has gone pretty well for the most part. I did have thrush back in the beginning but I think we worked through that. The latest issue is that my left breast (my high producer) is extremely sore and achy and I can feel a huge lump/ridge that is about 1 inch wide and 2-3 inches long. There's a faint red streak around that area but no other noticeable redness. I can also feel a large lump on the other side and that breast is sore as well, but not as painful as the left.

Does this sound like a clogged milk duct? I do have problems with fibrocystic breast lumps as well, but this seems different. I tried to pump last night and did not produce as much as I normally do. If it is a clogged duct, how do I get rid of it? I haven't had a fever or anything like that so I don't think it is mastitis.

Should I see my midwife or a lactation consultant? The pain is starting to drive me crazy! Any advice would be much appreciated.

Default Re: Painful breasts, large lump, help!

It does sound like clogged ducts. If not treated, they could lead to mastitis :eek, so please consider using some of the suggestions below and reading over the links to help you avoid that problem.

*Nurse frequently
    *Vary nursing positions
    *good nutrition and drink to thirst
    *moist heat applied to area
    *lean over a basin of water and briefly "soak" your breasts, follow with massage (alternately, perform in a shower)
    *loosen bra and any restrictive clothing (aids in milk flow)
    *If all else fails, nurse baby from directly above (lie baby on back, you straddle baby on your hands and knees allowing your breasts to hang freely from your ribcage)

http://www.kellymom.com/bf/concerns/mom/mastitis.html (NOT LLL resource)

Do let us know how you're doing!