Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Biting!!!

Exclamation Biting!!!

Good morning fellow breastfeeding mommies! We've been out of town for a long time so I'm just now getting back to posting. My 7 month DD just won't stop with the biting! I have read many articles online and on the LLL website about biting and I still haven't gotten anywhere. She has her two bottom middle teeth and one on top and when she bites, OH MY GOODNESS IS IT EVER PAINFUL!!! I have tried watching carefully when she nurses to make sure that when she is acting like she's almost done, I get her off as fast as possible so there's no "lag" time in-between so she won't be tempted to bite down but even then sometimes she still bites right when I'm about to take her off. The last few times she has done it, my automatic response was to scream and to kind of jump because it hurt so bad (she left teeth marks on my nipples!) It scared her and she cried and I don't want her to go on a nursing strike if it ends up scaring her so bad she doesn't want to nurse again. I need help!!

Default Re: Biting!!!

Someone told me to say NO firmly. If they do it again, unlatch them and say NO again.

Do this a few times to teach them to not bite from the breast that feeds them

I have a 2 mo old that is a chewer (he's possibly teething) and have tried this and he has slowed down on chewing on me!

oh goly. ya know......i've tried it all. and there is no more beating around the bush in this house. i say 'please dont, that hurts mommy' then 'no!' then thats it. the boob goes bye-bye. he could damage the goods and then not be able to bf. or he could hurt me so bad that i give up bf'ing. so, i dont mess around anymore. it hurts like the dickens.
    Casey, mother to a cuckoo boy
    Guillaume~ a birthday present for his mommy 11~9~06
    still breastfeeding, co-sleeping and cloth diapering

You poor thing! Biting is no fun at all. Peter was a biter when he first got his bottom teeth, and now that he has 6 teeth he's (thankfully) stopped biting me.

When he first bit me I screamed.....but it didn't stop him from doing it again ....so instead I did as Case suggested and just firmly said "NO - you DO NOT bite Mama. That HURTS Mama." and then I would do up my nursing bra, pull down my shirt and put him on the floor. He would cry and want to nurse again, and if he bit me a second time, I repeated this. He stopped biting after a handful of times.

I sincerely hope this helps. Use plenty of lanolin, and good luck!

Thank you so much for all the advice. Lately, the firm "no's" don't work too much or they just make her laugh at me. LOL. She thinks it's really funny when I try to be a disciplinarian. I will try some of the others though. Thanks a bunch!!