Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: breast to bottle

Question breast to bottle

Hello! You would think at my third child I would have this down. I have a 2 month old and am having trouble getting her to take the bottle. I am using breast milk and have tried a few different types of bottles and she always acts like she is gagging. Any suggestions??? I have to go back to work in 3 weeks and am getting nervious/anxious about her not taking the bottle. I did not have this much trouble with my other kids.

Default Re: breast to bottle

Hello:
    No, I don't think the number of babies we have negates our struggles along the way...each one is his/hr own special spirit, no? Thank heavens, too!

Here's some ideas:

THE WOMANLY ART OF BREASTFEEDING, LLL's guide for nursing mothers, suggests that the introduction of a bottle wait until the baby is three to four weeks old and nursing well, in order to lessen the risk of nipple confusion. You can try once or twice per day to introduce the bottle, using a couple of "tricks" that experienced working/breastfeeding mothers have tried:

*Try offering the bottle before the baby is likely to be too hungry, before his usual nursing time.

*Hold the baby lovingly while giving the bottle.

*Wrap the baby in some of mother's clothing that has her smell on it while offering the bottle.

*Lay the bottle nipple near his mouth and allow him to pull it into his mouth himself, or tickle his lips with the bottle nipple as many mothers do with the breast.

*Try different bottle nipples and shapes.

*Try different positions (some babies will refuse to bottle feed in the "nursing" position that mom uses. Some don't like to look at the caregiver while taking a bottle.)

*Try bottle-feeding while baby is moving rhythmically - rocking, swaying, or swaying from side to side - because this may be calming to him.

LLL also has a wonderful book entitled "Nursing Mother, Working Mother." You can buy it (as well as the WOMANLY ART OF BREASTFEEDING)through our Online Store at http://store.llli.org. It may also be available in a local bookstore or library.