Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: More Poop

Exclamation More Poop

DD started solids about 3-4 weeks ago. Her BMs were like soft clay after we first started but last night it was pretty hard, and it made her cry to pass it. I started adding 1.5 oz water to each of her bottles of ebm to help loosen it. And I am not going to give her solids when she is with me anymore, but I can;t cut them out at daycare because I can't pump enough milk for her to be satisfied (she takes 3- 5 oz bottles as it is with food). She eats two small jar sized serving at day care (I make her food). One fruit and one veggies (about 2.5 oz each). Is this normal for solids? I hate seeing her cry like that just to poop, and when I wiped her bottom there was a little blood . Her BMs have always been weird (or at least in my opinion), they were never seedy like most bf babies and she gets no formula, only breastmilk to drink. Is something wrong with her???
    Amanda Mom to James (2/25/04) and nursling Alice (8/24/05)

Default Re: More Poop

Sounds like she could have something called anal fissures, which are little tears around the anus. Baby hemmaroids is what I like to think of it! If you are noticing this more, I would make an appointment to see the pediatrician.

Hope this helps!

Sarah

I would try giving foods that loosen up poops, like prunes, pears, peas, etc. Many people give some diluted prune juice to help. Also, you can try avoiding constipating foods like bananas for a little while and see if that helps. I don't think you need to give up solids altogether.

Are you sure this wasn't just a change in color due to a certain type of food instead of blood? I know when I started feeding my DS, the color changed according to what he was eating maybe the day before or that day. If not, I would call my pediatrician because you know it has to be painful to the baby if there's blood in poop. Hope you can resolve this for your baby's sake.