Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Have you had to supplement with formula

Default Have you had to supplement with formula

I hate to have to supplement, but after nursing my little one she was communicating that hunger fuss, so I have to give her some formula. She sucked as if she were saying thank you mommy...I needed that extra milk. I didn't have extra bm in in the fridge and my freezer stash was still frozen, so I didn't want to let her wait until it thawed. I'm going to pump now to make up for the formula session. I feel so guilty when I have open a can, but then I have to remind myself that it's okay once in while and that feeding my lo is priority.

1st time mamma
    1/24/2007
    Last edited by 07mommy; June 24th, 2007 at 07:49 PM.

Default Re: Have you had to supplement with formula

Hi... do what you have to do.. everyone's situation is different. However, you can always take out frozen BM and place it in hot tap water. This will defrost it without having to wait a long time ( no more than 15 minutes)

Good Luck
    Proud Mommy to Michael who is 3 now! Michael was nurseynursed for 2 years!!
    I did not make up this persona, but if I did, I would make myself 50 pounds lighter and 5 years younger!!!!

I have had to supplement with my 7 week old--he is a big baby, was 9'3 at birth. A lot of the time he still seems hungry after a feeding...he will be rooting, sucking on his fists...sometimes it seems like he can never get enough. I try to keep putting him back on the breast, but at times he still seems to not be satisfied and will be screaming and rooting. I hear him swallowing, so I know he is definitely getting milk from me, but not enough. I always feel guilty about supplementing him, but know he really is still hungry. Any suggestions?

If you don't want to supplement, try putting your baby back to the breast. Though it may seem like you are empty, you really aren't. Also, by having your baby nurse again, it is telling your body to "make more"... and it will!

But I do agree with the pp... do what you gotta do for your baby. You're the mama and you know your child better than anyone else!

i understand and felt the same way the first time I supplemented but like others said, you do what you have to do to meet the needs of your baby.
    One thing I will always remember our Dr. telling us (because it made me feel better) was that he could put 50 kids who are bf and 50 kids who are ff in a room and he can't tell the difference...just do what I have to do to fill her tummy.

I too have felt empty at times so I know how frustrating it can be. Hang in there!

JUST LETTING U KNOW DONT FEEL GUILTY ABOUT SUPPLEMENTING I DID AND STILL DO
    (ABOUT 1 OR 2 BOTTLES)....AT FIRST MY LO WAS SUPPLEMENTING EVERY OTHER FEEDING SO IT GETS BETTER...JUST KEEP LETTING UR LITTLE ONE LATCH AND UR SUPPLY WILL INCREASE. TO KEEP MY SANITY I TOOK FENUGREEK TO BOOST MY SUPPLY AND I STILL TAKE IT!! IT HELPED ME FEEL LIKE I WAS DOING MY BEST TO HELP CONTINUE BF...STRESS DOESNT HELP...SO DO WHAT WORKS JUST DONT EVER GIVE UP!! GOOD LUCK...FOR THE OTHER MAMA ASKING HOW DO U KNOW IF LO IS HUNGRY OR GETTING ENOUGH GO TO WWW.KELLYMOM..COM THATS A GREAT SITE

Quote Originally Posted by 07mommy View Post
    I didn't have extra bm in in the fridge and my freezer stash was still frozen, so I didn't want to let her wait until it thawed.
    1st time mamma
    1/24/2007
    Of course you shouldn't feel guilty about supplementing when you need to. Formula is made for that purpose: when your baby is hungry it is there to fill him/her up. And about thawing the frozen BM, if you are in a hurry you can always thaw it under hot tap water as one of the pps said. it will probably take the same amount of time as preparing the formula (especially if you are storing them in plastic bags, I love them for that) and although BM loses its immunological properties under heat, it is still as good as formula.

I know what you are going through. There are times I have to supplement my daughter b/c she just isn't getting full enough at times. I am on Fenugreek as well.
    Hang in there/

I hate to have to supplement, but after nursing my little one she was communicating that hunger fuss, so I have to give her some formula. She sucked as if she were saying thank you mommy...I needed that extra milk.
    Next time your baby cries for more, perhaps try "switch nursing" (repeatedly switching breasts until baby is full) and/or breast compressions: http://www.kellymom.com/newman/15bre...mpression.html

Here's some information you might find helpful:
    "Parents who don't know this is "normal" frequently respond as you did by giving a bottle because they think the baby isn't "happy or satisfied" with the breast. When the bottle goes in the baby's mouth the mouth fills with milk, the baby is obligated to swallow and the action of swallowing initiates another suck. The suck again fills the mouth and the cycle repeats, giving an appearance of the baby "gulping the bottle down hungrily"."
    http://www.mother-2-mother.com/cc-baby-B.htm#Fussiness

I didn't have extra bm in in the fridge and my freezer stash was still frozen, so I didn't want to let her wait until it thawed.
    It only takes a couple of minutes to thaw/warm expressed milk under warm, running water. It can certainly be ready in about the same amount of time as it would take to make/warm a bottle for formula.

I'm going to pump now to make up for the formula session.
    Good for you!

I feel so guilty when I have open a can, but then I have to remind myself that it's okay once in while and that feeding my lo is priority.
    Just remember that, in the long run, your production levels will benefit from breastfeeding exclusively. Supplementation is a slippery slope--not only does it change the whole supply/demand dynamic, but babies can become accustomed to the ease of the bottle and begin to balk at the breast.

"Nursing is a supply & demand process. Milk is produced as your baby nurses, and the amount that she nurses lets your body know how much milk is required. Every bottle (of formula, juice or water) that your baby gets means that your body gets the signal to produce that much less milk."
    http://www.kellymom.com/bf/supply/low-supply.html

If your baby needs it, by all means!

I mostly breastfeed when I'm with the baby, and I pump at work to provide for the sitter. But we have already had quite a few special incedents where we had to give her formula. First, was when she was jaundiced and had to be hospitalized at 6 days old. She was also dehydrated because my milk hadn't come in, even though I was exclusively breastfeeding. So at the hospital I had to exclusively formula feed and use their breast pump inbetween to keep my milk up. When we went home I went back to breastfeeding and my milk FINALLY came in.
    Then I hemmorahged at 5 wks post pardum. While I was at the doctor's office, I had to leave the baby with my nephew's girlfriend. All we had was formula for her to feed her because I only had a little frozen BM that I was stashing for when I went back to work.
    Then one Sat I had to take my mom to the hospital and spent over 10hrs wiht her in the ER. Hubby was home with the girls and had to feed baby formula while I was gone.

Because of everything that's gone on, I make sure we keep some extra formula around. Now that I'm back at work, ALL of the extra bm I express is reserved for the sitter while I'm at work. So if I have to be away from the baby in the evening, she will have formula.

It doesn't happen often, but I feel it's a good back up. Don't feel bad. You are trying your best to give your baby the best, and that's what matters.