Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Nipple confusion at almost 2-weeks old

Unhappy Nipple confusion at almost 2-weeks old

My little boy, Parker will be 2-weeks tomorrow. He started out nursing beautifully. He latched on minutes after being born and sucked like a champ. In fact, he sucked so much that the peditrician at the hospital suggested giving him a formula bottle the first few nights. So, we did and everything continued to go smoothly. When we got home and my milk came in his nursing became more regular and I was able to provide enough for him that we didn't need to supplement. Then a few nights ago I woke him up for his nightly feeding and he wouldn't latch on. I tried every hold I could think of, I tried switching breasts, walking, sitting and finally with tears running down my face I pumped and gave him a bottle. The next morning I ran into the same problem. He would try to latch on but couldn't. So I ended up pumping and giving him a bottle again. It has been two days now and he's only nursed a hand-full of times. I always try to get him to latch on and usually end up having to give him the bottle of expressed milk. After reading more on this sight I think it may have been that I let him have a pacifier (which I have since taken away).

Is there any hope of getting him to nurse again? Any advice is so appreciated, I'm feeling so defeated!

Default Re: Nipple confusion at almost 2-weeks old

I am so sorry to hear about your troubles. There is definitely hope for you to get your LO back to the breast. I began to pump and bottle feed when my son was 4 days old due to severe nipple soreness. Then he preferred the bottle and had trouble latching too. I just kept trying and now 2 months later he is finally back on the breast exclusively. I would just keep offering him the breast with skin-to-skin contact. Best of luck to you.

This may be a dumb question but, what is a nipple shield and what does it do?

Just wanted to say Congrats on the baby!! My cousin had a baby boy on June 11 also named Parker, such a cute name.

First, I'd really like to slap the pediatrician for pretty much saying, "Wow, he sucks so good, you should give him a bottle of formula!" Makes me wonder if you had your LO at the same hospital I did. The on-call pediatrician gave my DS a bottle of formula because she and I had discussed my problems pumping enough milk the first day. (HISTORY: My DS was 4 weeks early and kept under observation the whole time we were in the hospital. So I pumped because I was GOING to breastfeed him! Hooked up to wires and all!)

Anyway, I could go on and on about that, but moving on to your problem. I agree with SublimanlDarkness. If you're going to even attempt to use a nipple sheild, which I don't think is necessary in your case, then you should do it under the advisement and instruction of a LC.

You've really got to try and get away from the bottle. If it were me, I would stop using the bottle. Please don't misunderstand me, I'm not saying to let him starve or anything like that. But he will eat if he's hungry. Even if you have to try over and over again to get him to nurse, just keep trying. It may take a few days, and a lot of determination, but you can do it! Just keep a positive attitude, talk to your LO calmly, and try to stay relaxed.

You could try pumping before each feeding so your milk lets down and is ready to go when he latches on. Or, if you really feel like you need to use the bottle, try giving him a little 1 oz. bottle at first to calm his initial, "I'm hungry!!" cries, then, latch him on.

Quote Originally Posted by lraehtz View Post
    Have a nice day and stop disagreeing with everything i am writing..
    I didn't realize we weren't allowed to disagree with other people's opinion.

Here is my experience...

My LO wouldn't latch so I was pumping and feeding ebm in a bottle. I then moved to a nipple shield (at about 1 mo)...and then moved from that to direct feeding (at about 6 weeks). For me, the nipple shield helped me figure out HOW to properly latch him on.

A lot of folks are concerned about the baby getting attached to the nipple shield, but if it keeps you going I say do whatever you have to do! I think nipple shields might keep some mommies bf'ing who might otherwise quit.

Just be aware because, as with most things, there are pros and cons to using nipple shields.

Just my $0.02.
    Dana
    Wife to Jonathan Edward, 3/29/2002
    Mother of Alexander "Lex" Edward, 3/4/2007
    Attachment Parenting - it's not what you do, it's why you do it.
    Breastfeeding
    Co-Sleeping
    Wearing Lex as often as possible
    Daytime cloth diaperer, nighttime sposie user

I've been following this thread and I have to say that I, too, used a nipple shield. I was VERY thankful that the nurse in my hospital recommended it, or I guarantee that I would have stopped bf'ing early on like I did with my older two children. I don't think that a nipple shield is right for everyone, but here's my experience.
    My oldest (now 4) I bf'ed for about a week. I had LC's visit me at home and everything was perfect (latch, etc). I just had extreme nipple pain.
    Same thing with my second child (now 2).
    With my newest LO, I explained this to the nurse in the hospital. The LC at my hospital came to see me and said that our positioning and latch were perfect, but I was still having this unexplained nipple pain that caused me to curl my toes and stop breathing every single feeding!!!
    We used the nipple shield at every feeding during those first two weeks. Then I slowly started to wean my LO off of it (mainly because of convenience reasons- lugging it around, making sure it didn't slip off during feeding, cleaning it incessantly!!!) and by one month old, she was nursing completely shield free.
    Maybe my baby is one of the exceptions. And I definitely believe that every child is different. But in some cases, if it can help you keep on keepin' on (and you have worked with a LC), it might not be a bad thing!
    Just my $.02 too!!!!

Moderator note: The debate posts from this thread have been moved to Around The Refreshment Table.

Quote Originally Posted by kimlacy View Post
    My little boy, Parker will be 2-weeks tomorrow.
    Congrats on your new arrival!

He started out nursing beautifully. He latched on minutes after being born and sucked like a champ.
    That's GREAT!

In fact, he sucked so much that the peditrician at the hospital suggested giving him a formula bottle the first few nights.
    Did your pediatrician say why he suggested this?

So, we did and everything continued to go smoothly. When we got home and my milk came in his nursing became more regular and I was able to provide enough for him that we didn't need to supplement.
    Wonderful!

Then a few nights ago I woke him up for his nightly feeding and he wouldn't latch on. I tried every hold I could think of, I tried switching breasts, walking, sitting and finally with tears running down my face I pumped and gave him a bottle. The next morning I ran into the same problem. He would try to latch on but couldn't. So I ended up pumping and giving him a bottle again. It has been two days now and he's only nursed a hand-full of times. I always try to get him to latch on and usually end up having to give him the bottle of expressed milk. After reading more on this sight I think it may have been that I let him have a pacifier (which I have since taken away).

Is there anything special about the times he latches on, vs the times he doesn't? Is there any consistant thing about it (position, hold, ect).

Is there any hope of getting him to nurse again? Any advice is so appreciated, I'm feeling so defeated!
    Yes, of course there is hope!

Here's some tips:

*Stop all artificial nipples. If baby needs to nurse, but refuses, absolutely do feed him (Rule # 1 is always feed the baby!). You can use alternative feeding methods such as spoon, dropper, syringe, or cup. Here's some helpful information: http://www.kellymom.com/bf/pumping/a...e-feeding.html If baby misses a breast feeding due to refusal, pump or hand express in it's place.

*Before nursing, be sure baby is positioned properly at the breast. Assure that baby's mouth is open wide (like a yawn) and his tongue is down. If baby won't open wide, say "open" and open your mouth wide. Even young babies can mimic facial expressions.

*Try starting the flow of milk by hand expressing or pumping before latching baby on. This way, he gets an instant reward for his sucking efforts.

*LOTS of skin to skin contact! Strip baby down to a diaper and hold him on your bare chest. Wrap a blanket around your shoulders to keep both of you warm.

*Try to nurse when baby is calm. Offer to nurse before he gets very hungry.

Here's some more detailed information:
    http://www.lalecheleague.org/FAQ/back.html
    http://www.lalecheleague.org/llleade...tNov99p99.html
    http://www.kellymom.com/bf/concerns/...to-breast.html

I would also recommend calling your local LLL Leader for support. Keep us updated!

If his latch is fine and he is gaining well there's no need to do the bottles as long as he has enough wet diapers a day. Try hanging out with him skin-to-skin in bed all day, hopefully he'll make moves to suck, and every time he does encourage him.