Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: 2 month old-eating less

Default 2 month old-eating less

hi ladies. my ds is 2 months old, and this past week, I've noticed a change in feeding patterns. he's eating less at each meal (now it is one side for about 10 mins, he used to eat on both side for total of 25 mins). I know that as they grow, they can eat "faster".. when does "eating faster" happen, i thought it was at 4 months or smth? so far he has wet diapers, but they are not as wet as before. should I be concerned?

cmp12345 is offline Shares Widely And Frequently

Default Re: 2 month old-eating less

When my LO was just 3-4 weeks old, she started eating less than 10 minutes, one side only. I have an oversupply and overactive letdown, and she had plenty of poopy and wet diapers, so I knew she was getting enough. At 4 months, she is still feeding less than 10 minutes, one side only per feeding.

Me too. My LO is 8 wo, and I have OALD/OS. She usually nurses on just one side, and it can be anywhere from 5-20 minutes, depending on her needs. I think every baby gets to points like this at their own rate. As long as your diaper output is good and baby seems satisfied, I think you're fine.
    I love my kids. I care for them accordingly. What more can I say?

Babies get more effiecient with practice!

as ppers have said...totally normal. As Long as your lo is producing the required wet/dirty daipers..4-5 sopping wet...heres a link to test how wet they should be http://www.kellymom.com/bf/supply/enoughmilk-older.html

Also look at the colour/odour of the urine...If your LO was getting too little fluids..the urine would be getting darker/concentrated and would become strong smelling.

Your Lo should also be content after a feed, alert and active, (not usually a very long period at 2mo) when awake. At this stage he should be putting on around 6oz per week...so keep an eye on weight gain.

If you are concerned that your LO isn't taking enough..wait 10mins after he has fed from the first side..then offer the other. That will give him a break in the middle and he may feel ready for more

hth

My LO is 2 months old today and she too has started eating less. It seems like this past week she has settled into a really nice schedule. She is awake more and is content being held without nursing. This was a huge change for us. Up until this week, if I was holding her it meant only one thing, FOOD!!!!!
    Carol
    Proud mom to,
    Cassi 5/17/85
    Carlie 3/16/96

The Twinzillas
    Camryn 8/17/06
    Carson 8/17/06
    & their Shadow
    Caitlyn 4/22/07

Thanks for your replies! I'm glad that my 2 mo isn't the only one eating less. unfortunately for me, his nice schedule that he had for the past two weeks has disappeared I can't predict his schedule anymore ... ahhh life!

I was going to post the same question! My dd is eating less too and she is 2 months on thursday.