Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Self weaning at 9mos?

Default Re: Self weaning at 9mos?

Rachel,

I really feel for you. You are going through so much right now. Firstly though, even though it is hard, try to keep in mind that your dd is not rejecting you as a mama, she is just not feeling "right" about something and it is hard to figure out what that something is since she is only 9mos. You mentioned in the first post that your LC recommended this forum. Is she still available to you? Can she help you any further? Or do you have a LLL group nearby? Could you talk to a leader personally?

Also, is it possible for you to completely clear your schedule for the next couple of days to just "be close" to your dd and try to work this out? You've already mentioned that she only seems to nurse when she's tired and half asleep, so definitely take advantage of that. Could you sleep next to her while she's napping/sleeping so that if she seems to rouse just slightly you could offer her the breast?

Hang in there.

Funny you mention that I was just on the phone with her. She called to check in on us which was sweet. She said to not show emotions and to not get frustrated in front of Ava if she doesn't eat, she will react to what I'm feeling. I really do not show frustration to her I just say 'Oh not again huh? You know we'll try this again in an 45 mins.' She'll look at me and smile
    I'm not sure if there is a LLL group close to me. I'm in the chicagoland area. I'm not sure where I could find out either?

The next couple of days will be hard I babysit my niece every Thursday and Friday's so we'll see how things go. I may have to ask my MIL to come over to help out. Today I've been giving her short naps (3 total - instead of the normal 2) because that way I can feed her. She only feeds from one side when she is asleep. I swear it never ends with me does it

Thanks again for getting back to me. It feels good knowing I'm not alone. I love me dd so much I want to continue giving her nothing but the best.

Rachel

Go to the lalecheleague.org website, click on the "find LLL near you" tab, then click on United States, then click on Illinois, which will bring you to an alphabetized listing of all IL groups. When you find the one closest to you, click on that. It will usually bring you to a listing of the groups leaders and phone numbers as well as when the group meets. HTH!!

Great thanks!

Like all things with kids the best advice I got when going through the nursing strike was "this too shall pass". A small consellation when you are in the thick of it. It likely won't go back to how things were. I found that things changed almost continuously when I was nursing but it wasn't always bad. It took us a bit to get back into a regular nursing schedule but we did. It was a different relationship but it wasn't a bad one. We nursed up until a couple of weeks ago when my son weaned himself at 21 months. I think a couple of factors played into it one of which is being pregnant again and one being a flu I had. I miss our quiet times nursing but I have found new ones. It is a rare thing for a 9 month old to want to wean so I would assume something else is going on. You may want to keep offering the breast first and then offer solids after. Keep nursing her when she is tired and as long as she nurses for a short time you will keep producing milk. If she decides to start nursing more again your body will respond and up your milk supply. I highly reccomend getting in touch with a local LLL leader and going to a meeting. The support is unlike any you will find outside the LLL and who knows maybe someone else has gone through the same thing.