Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Colic?? sorry its long!

Default Re: Colic?? sorry its long!

Quote Originally Posted by jasmina32 View Post
    Oh yeah, we gave him mylicon twice and gripe water. I don't know if it was coincidence or not, but he seemed a tiny bit better with gripe water. He was significantly better, he still drove us CRAZY!!!!!
    I meant he WASN'T significantly better
    Proud Mommy to Michael who is 3 now! Michael was nurseynursed for 2 years!!
    I did not make up this persona, but if I did, I would make myself 50 pounds lighter and 5 years younger!!!!

I think my baby has colic too! He screams about 75 percent of the day and wakes up arching his back and screaming. The only time he doesn't scream or cry is when he's BF'ing which we do all the time even if he's not hungry and I need a break. I know he's in serious stomach pains because he does this certain cry and he strains and makes his face all red and passes gas, and his stomach gets all tight. This lasts for hours at night and in the morning. He just started spitting up in the last week or so too. Mylicon drops help but they aren't the end all be all to our problems.

Also he also has developed a head to toe pimply rash that I think is infected because its oozing around his ears and face so that could be part of the crying thing.

Anyways we're going to the doctor today at 3 but I'm blaming all the stomach stuff on colic. Just wanted to vent, seems like our babies are going through something similar (minus the rash)

Oh one more vent-- Logan woke up at 2 AM and didn't fall back asleep until 11 AM this morning. I'm soooooo tired!!!!
    Lisa

Mommy to
    Logan 5-23-07
    Colby 12-14-09

Quote Originally Posted by MommyLuvsU View Post
    I think my baby has colic too! He screams about 75 percent of the day and wakes up arching his back and screaming. The only time he doesn't scream or cry is when he's BF'ing which we do all the time even if he's not hungry and I need a break. I know he's in serious stomach pains because he does this certain cry and he strains and makes his face all red and passes gas, and his stomach gets all tight. This lasts for hours at night and in the morning. He just started spitting up in the last week or so too. Mylicon drops help but they aren't the end all be all to our problems.

Also he also has developed a head to toe pimply rash that I think is infected because its oozing around his ears and face so that could be part of the crying thing.

Anyways we're going to the doctor today at 3 but I'm blaming all the stomach stuff on colic. Just wanted to vent, seems like our babies are going through something similar (minus the rash)

Oh one more vent-- Logan woke up at 2 AM and didn't fall back asleep until 11 AM this morning. I'm soooooo tired!!!!
    To you...
    I remember those days...
    You should look into allergies.. there are a few threads on this site... i believe that the rash could be a result from something you are eating...

Just a warning, the ped may prescribe "special" formula.. your milk is the best for the baby.. sometimes they try to push this formula onto moms.
    Proud Mommy to Michael who is 3 now! Michael was nurseynursed for 2 years!!
    I did not make up this persona, but if I did, I would make myself 50 pounds lighter and 5 years younger!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by jasmina32 View Post
    To you...
    I remember those days...
    You should look into allergies.. there are a few threads on this site... i believe that the rash could be a result from something you are eating...

Just a warning, the ped may prescribe "special" formula.. your milk is the best for the baby.. sometimes they try to push this formula onto moms.

Thankfully my pedi is all about BF'ing and doesn't recommend anything xcept BM until at least 6 months. He said that its highly unlikely something that I'm eating and probably some other external allergy which who knows if we will ever figure it out.
    Lisa

Mommy to
    Logan 5-23-07
    Colby 12-14-09

3kidsMommy is offline Shares Widely And Frequently

Just thought I would post an update. Took him to the ped and he said it sounds like colic. He has gained weight fine, he gained um 11 ounces in 7 days I think!
    So that much is good and it pretty much made me stop worrying about not having enough. He said it also could be a letdown issue were its coming to fast and he is gagging and swallowing air because of that. Which he almost always starts to gag and pulls off after the milk really gets going! So yeah, hopefully things will get better!!!

My LO's symptoms were not nearly as severe as yours, but I have been dealing with OALD/OS. I think it's finally starting to regulate now, thank goodness! But I found the info at kellymom.com to be really helpful in dealing with the OALD/OS. By trying out the suggestions there, I was able to determine that this was really the problem, rather than reflux. If you suspect OALD is your problem: Burp often, try positioning baby's throat so that it's above your nipple (so gravity will keep the milk from hitting his throat so fast), try letting the milk drip into a cloth diaper or expressing a bit to relieve the immediate pressure after letdown, try block nursing and nursing lying down. Good luck, and hang in there!
    I love my kids. I care for them accordingly. What more can I say?

3kidsMommy-
    It sounds like you are really having a tough time. My dd is now 15 months old, but we struggled with "colic" from the time she was 2 weeks old until she was over 5 months old. During that time (which seemed like FOREVER), we learned lots of tricks that made it more bearable. DD did spit up quite a bit, and I discovered that I had overactive letdown (OALD). For this, we started block feeding- feeding from only one breast per feeding, and using that breast for every feeding for 3 hours. After those three hours were up, we would start using the other breast. That seemed to help a little bit. We also used the Gripe Water that one of the pps mentioned. It was a miracle drug for hiccups! I dunno if it helped otherwise... For us, the most effective was-

THE VACUUM CLEANER!

I couldn't believe it... Everytime we'd turn the vacuum on, she'd go from SCREAMING to quiet, and many times, she'd even fall asleep. After weeks of running our vacuum cleaner for hours each day, we decided we had to try something else. I found a CD called "For Crying Out Loud". There are 8 tracks, if I remember right. One of them is the sound of a vacuum. We would play that track on repeat for hours some days. It worked wonders!

Now, she is the happiest 15 month old I could have imagined. People ask me all the time, "Does she ever stop smiling?" I always tell them, "You should have met her during her first five months!" Anyway, it DOES get better, and formula WILL NOT fix it. I just hope that you don't have to deal with five months of it! Good luck!
    ~Jaden Mae 04-05-06~
    --Self-weaned at 21 months--
    ~Avery Lynne 11-27-08~
    --Self-weaned at 23 months--
    ~Elise June 02-12-11~
    --Nursing like a champ--

Sounds like colic to me. My DD was colicky and the only thing that works was the advice given in "The Happiest Baby on the Block" by Dr. Harvey Karp. Do not give up breastfeeding. If the baby is colicky, being on your breast is a good thing. Good luck!

I forgot to post this... my pedi decided to try my LO on zantac (I just blamed all his stomach/nursing problems on colic) and not kidding you it's like a whole new baby nursing. He's back to nursing and finishing each side and his poops aren't runny anymore now that he's comfortable enough to stay on a breast until hindmilk time. He also has stopped arching his back during feedings and screaming. I never thought he was having that silent reflux. Anyways I'm happy he is happier during BF'ing and its a reward to see them with that milk drunk smile when they're finished.
    Lisa

Mommy to
    Logan 5-23-07
    Colby 12-14-09

My oldest daughter had colic as well. I found a nice warm bath seemed to help her. Sometimes when she was really bad we would take a nice warm bath and I would nurse her during our bath. For some reason that seemed to make a difference.

My 9 week old LOVES the blow dryer, vacuum and my white noise machine. When I really need to get something done and Caitlyn just wants to be held, I will sometimes turn the blow dryer or vacuum on and she is content. At least for a little while
    Carol
    Proud mom to,
    Cassi 5/17/85
    Carlie 3/16/96

The Twinzillas
    Camryn 8/17/06
    Carson 8/17/06
    & their Shadow
    Caitlyn 4/22/07