Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: How would you go about partial weaning?

Default How would you go about partial weaning?

I've been at home with my girl since day one for the past 7 months. In a month she will be going to daycare and I have to go back to work. I love nursing and will be sad to give it up, but I don't want to have to pump at work. I'm a teacher on block scheduling so I'd have to get someone to cover during my class and it's too much.

In any case, I would love to keep my early morning and late afternoon/evening/night feedings but get rid of my morning/mid-day-afternoon feed. How would you go about this to best transition yourself, your body, and baby?

Would you start by substituting one feed for a bottle and then pump a little out? Should I start soon or wait until a week or so before I need to stop? Other suggestions?

Default Re: How would you go about partial weaning?

Have you considered giving the baby formula while you are apart and nursing when you are together? Breastfeeding doesn't have to be all or nothing.

http://www.kellymom.com/bf/weaning/weaning-partial.html
    "You must be the change you wish to see in the world." - Gandhi

I would substitute one bf feeding for formula every week to two weeks. If you become engorged, you can hand express a little to ease the pressure. Otherwise, do not continue to remove milk (pump) at that time or your body will not adjust. Watch carefully for plugged ducts.
    I think it's great that you are choosing partial weaning over total weaning. Of course, if you can work any pumping in during the day (lunch hour) that would be even better but it sounds like you have a very busy schedule. Lucky for me I could just shut my office door and take care of business.
    Good luck!!

Molly

Loving mama to JP (DS, 1/03 ~ nursed 6 mos), EL (DD1, 9/05 ~ nursed 4 yrs), EJ (DD2, 3/08 ~ nursed 3 yrs 9 mos), and
    JM (DD3, 6/12 ~ currently nursing), all born naturally
    Devoted wife to SAHD P, my hero
    A few of my favorite things that I've discovered on the forum: co-sleeping, baby-wearing, tandem nursing, baby-led solids, cloth diapering, APing, selective vaccination...the list goes on

Thanks, both make sense. In the LL link it says that I should feed all the time from the breast when we're together and other people can give the bottle. I'm thinking this wouldn't be a good idea in this case since she'd pretty much be getting boob all the time (my husband is only home in the evening and I wouldn't want to lower my supply at this time since this is when I'd be feeding her when I work) except maybe the weekend. But I don't want her rejecting the boob outright if I try the formula substituted for one feeding, which was my original plan. So I'm stumped. Maybe give the bottle every couple of days so she doesn't forget what formula tastes like and is used to a bottle?

I technically am putting her in daycare early aug. and dont' work full time (but have in-service, planning days, etc.) until late august, so I COULD pump some milk out when we were apart for the first time.

I keep bouncing back and forth now..

A little after my DD turned one year I "pump weaned" and now only bf her whenever we are together, nights and weekends, vacations, whatever. We didn't have to deal with the bottle or formula issues since she had started refusing the bottle and was over one so didn't need formula. She simply eats regular food, drinks cow or soy milk, and other liquids while I am away.
    Hope you get this all figured out!

Molly

Loving mama to JP (DS, 1/03 ~ nursed 6 mos), EL (DD1, 9/05 ~ nursed 4 yrs), EJ (DD2, 3/08 ~ nursed 3 yrs 9 mos), and
    JM (DD3, 6/12 ~ currently nursing), all born naturally
    Devoted wife to SAHD P, my hero
    A few of my favorite things that I've discovered on the forum: co-sleeping, baby-wearing, tandem nursing, baby-led solids, cloth diapering, APing, selective vaccination...the list goes on