Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Help plzzz (long one sorry)

Smile Help plzzz (long one sorry)

Hiya all, Right I will start at the begining I have a week old little girl who was 9lb 7oz I had a good labour only 4 hours long with just gas and air and no stitches. I bf her straight away and she was on for about an hour first feed straight after giving birth. After that she was always asking for food which I gave but after each feed never seemed settled or sleepy she had me up all night for 2 nights my boobs were sore from the constant feeding and I was extremely tired ( I have a toddler aswell) After seeing my midiwfe for advice she told me about getting her to latch on properly and I started cup feeding to help fill her up and help her sleep this helped but she was getting belly ache from swallowing all the air plus u could never tell how much she had had as she spat alot out. So in total deseration at needing sleep and trying to help my nipples I gave in and gave her a formula bottle. (this was day 4) She sucked at it as if she had never had food before in her life I felt bad as I thought all this time she has been starving. She had 3oz straight off no stopping for a break. But she slept the best sleep she had ever had. Now I put her on my boob as soon as she wants food and shes on each boob for about 45 mins sometimes longer each she falls asleep alot during each feed I have to constantly wake her and near the end of the 45 mins she gets agitated as if theres nothing left and starts getting upset, I swap boobs and wait for this to happen on other boob then shes still looking for food so I give her a bottle of formula which she finishes (3oz) and eventually falls asleep. This is taking a lot of time up and I seem to be constantly feeding I wouldnt mind doing this is I could get rid of the bottle but it seems to me that she needs more then what I am giving her. How can I get rid of the bottle feeds so she is just having me. My boobs never seem sore as I was told they would be nor do they ever feel full (hard). I have rung several helplines and asked friends for advice but all I get basically is all babies are different and to keep trying no real advice or ideas to try out to get rid of the bottle and increase my milk (Im sure this is what is needed) plzzz help I really want to breast feed exclusively. Thanks in advance for any info given

Default Re: Help plzzz (long one sorry)

Hello,
    i know the beginning is really hard and tiring. You need patience but you are too tired to have. it is really normal to have a baby that want to nurse all the time and it is normal that the baby falls asleep with formula, because 1) the bottle is always easy and the formula is really heavy. Remember: it's cow's milk. A way to increase your milk and staisfy your baby at the same time is pumping your milk so that you can increase your milk. At least this is what i did.
    Good luck.

Quote Originally Posted by Lolliemma View Post
    Hiya all, Right I will start at the begining I have a week old little girl who was 9lb 7oz I had a good labour only 4 hours long with just gas and air and no stitches.
    Congratulations!

I bf her straight away and she was on for about an hour first feed straight after giving birth. After that she was always asking for food which I gave but after each feed never seemed settled or sleepy she had me up all night for 2 nights my boobs were sore from the constant feeding and I was extremely tired ( I have a toddler aswell).

Do know that frequent feeding can be normal, but it should not cause soreness if baby is latched on well. It's possible that something was a little "off" with the latch, and thus your baby was staying on longer to get the milk she needed. If she was just on the nipple, instead of far back on the areola (the dark area around the nipple) the flow of milk would be constricted (think of what happens when you pinch a straw and try to drink through it).

Do you have any help at home? How old is your toddler?

After seeing my midiwfe for advice she told me about getting her to latch on properly and I started cup feeding to help fill her up and help her sleep this helped but she was getting belly ache from swallowing all the air plus u could never tell how much she had had as she spat alot out.
    WONDERFUL! Is the latch comfortable now? When your baby nurses, can you hear her swallowing?

You could try offering a supplement on a spoon. For some mothers, it's a little easier to manage than the cup. It would certainly make it easier for you to see how much baby is taking in.

So in total deseration at needing sleep and trying to help my nipples I gave in and gave her a formula bottle. (this was day 4) She sucked at it as if she had never had food before in her life I felt bad as I thought all this time she has been starving. She had 3oz straight off no stopping for a break. But she slept the best sleep she had ever had.
    The thing about baby taking a bottle so hungrily is that they can't help but take the milk (even if they are full). You see, milk from the bottle drips into the mouth. The baby's reflex to swallow kicks in, consequently, the reflex to suck kicks in. So baby sucks, has to swallow, sucks again, has to swallow...before long, it appears as if baby is hungrily gulping down a bottle. It's easy to get the impression that baby was starving, even if that wasn't the case. Does that make sense?

This Web page has some information on baby's stomach capacity:
    http://www.lalecheleague.org/FAQ/colostrum.html

Now I put her on my boob as soon as she wants food and shes on each boob for about 45 mins sometimes longer each she falls asleep alot during each feed I have to constantly wake her and near the end of the 45 mins she gets agitated as if theres nothing left and starts getting upset, I swap boobs and wait for this to happen on other boob
    The first thing I would suggest is to strip baby down to her diaper. Skin to skin contact has been shown to help a baby organize her activity. Once at the breast, make sure baby opens WIDE (like a yawn) and latches on far back on the areola. When she sucks, you should feel a gentle tugging. Watch her sucking pattern. When it starts to slow, or she starts to drift off to sleep, compress the breast in order to send down more milk. She will instictively swallow, and then suck again. This way, she is actively sucking for a longer period of time and she gets more milk for her efforts.

Here's some more information:
    Breast compressions how-to:
    http://www.kellymom.com/newman/15bre...mpression.html
    Videos on breast compression:
    www.thebirthden.com/Newman.html
    Latching resources:
    http://www.kellymom.com/bf/start/bas...resources.html
    Video that explains how to latch on and how to know baby is getting enough:
    http://newborns.stanford.edu/Breastf...uteHelper.html

then shes still looking for food so I give her a bottle of formula which she finishes (3oz) and eventually falls asleep.
    She's a week old now, and she started supplements on day four, correct? How many total ounces of supplement is she taking per day?

This is taking a lot of time up and I seem to be constantly feeding I wouldnt mind doing this is I could get rid of the bottle but it seems to me that she needs more then what I am giving her. How can I get rid of the bottle feeds so she is just having me.
    Depending on how much supplement your baby is currently taking, you might need to "wean" from the supplements. We can discuss that when you post back.

Some things you can do to increase production are:
    *Make sure that baby is latched on well and is draining the breast
    *Feed often, as frequently as baby cues
    *If you can manage it, go to bed with baby and have a "nursing vacation". Do nothing but eat, sleep, nurse, go to the bathroom, and nurse some more.
    *If baby isn't draining the breast well, hand express or pump in order to remove more milk (if your baby is still being supplemented, you can supplement with your milk).

Here's some information:
    http://www.lalecheleague.org/FAQ/increase.html
    http://www.kellymom.com/bf/supply/low-supply.html

My boobs never seem sore as I was told they would be nor do they ever feel full (hard).
    Not every mother gets engorged. If your baby was feeding frequently in the early days (sounds like she was!), chances are that you wouldn't be.

When your baby nurses, can you hear her swallowing? Do your breasts feel softer after a feeding?

I have rung several helplines and asked friends for advice but all I get basically is all babies are different and to keep trying no real advice or ideas to try out to get rid of the bottle and increase my milk (Im sure this is what is needed) plzzz help I really want to breast feed exclusively. Thanks in advance for any info given
    I'll have more specific suggestions for you when you reply to this post.

Do know that you can always call your nearest LLL Leader for information and support. http://www.llli.org/WebIndex.html

Hiya thank you sooooooo much for the quick reply. theres plenty there for me to start reading!! lol Right heres the answers to your questions:

She's a week old now, and she started supplements on day four, correct? How many total ounces of supplement is she taking per day?
    shes having 2-3 oz every 3 - 4 hours on top of bf.

When your baby nurses, can you hear her swallowing? Do your breasts feel softer after a feeding?
    At the begining of the feed I can after about 10 mins she doesnt suck as hard so I cant hear anything and yes my breasts feel softer after a feed. but sometimes she wants more and if my breasts are soft I worry she isnt getting anything and after a while she gets agitated so thats when I give her the bottle.

thanks again for all this help!

Hiya thank you sooooooo much for the quick reply. theres plenty there for me to start reading!! lol Right heres the answers to your questions:

At the begining of the feed I can after about 10 mins she doesnt suck as hard so I cant hear anything and yes my breasts feel softer after a feed. but sometimes she wants more and if my breasts are soft I worry she isnt getting anything and after a while she gets agitated so thats when I give her the bottle.

thanks again for all this help!

heres a good link about reducing suppliments
    http://www.kellymom.com/bf/supply/decrease-formula.html

So, more than 12 ounces per day?

How have things went today? Were you able to reduce the supplement after using breast compressions?

At the begining of the feed I can after about 10 mins she doesnt suck as hard so I cant hear anything
    When her sucking slows, try breast compression to keep her actively sucking for longer. This will help her take in a full feed at the breast.

and yes my breasts feel softer after a feed.
    Great!

but sometimes she wants more and if my breasts are soft I worry she isnt getting anything
    Your breasts are never truly empty. Eventhough your breasts feel empty, there is still more there for her to eat. This (non-LLL) resource explains why:
    http://www.kellymom.com/bf/supply/mi...tml#refillmyth

My best suggestion is to try switching breasts when she gets frustrated, and continue to try breast compressions to help her take in more milk for her efforts.

If you need to, take a moment to calm her and then try again. If she is still not satisfied, of course, offer the supplement.

after a while she gets agitated so thats when I give her the bottle.
    I understand.

The best way to increase your production and help your baby to take in more milk is to keep her actively sucking at the breast longer. This is where breast compressions come in. Remember--if baby seems unhappy, compress, and when that's not working any longer, switch, compress, switch again as needed.

If baby needs a supplement, do give it. Just have a plan in place in order to wean off the supplements. Andrea posted a very good link.

My best suggestion is to start with around 1.5-2 ounces as baby needs it. Watch her output. That will help you assure that baby is getting enough:
    http://www.lalecheleague.org/FAQ/enough.html

In the meanwhile, nurse as often as you can. Try to carve away time to have a "nursing vacation" and do nothing but lie and bed and eat, sleep, and nurse. This can do wonders for your milk production (and your baby's weight gain ).

I hope this information is helpful to you! Please do not hesitate to ask any further questions you have, and PLEASE do keep us updated!