Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Do BF babies weigh less than FF babies?

Default Do BF babies weigh less than FF babies?

Hi all,

I have made an observation that I'm wondering about. My DS is 3.5 months and weight about 12 pounds (Born at 7lb9oz) and I am EBF.
    Then I see other LO's who are roughly the same age and they are so much bigger...like 14-17 pounds...they are more often than not FF babies.
    I know my DS is growing normally but being a new Mom and all its sometimes hard not to compare.
    My question is...Is there a difference between FF an BF babies with regard to weight gain?

Default Re: Do BF babies weigh less than FF babies?

Of course, you should never compare , but it is hard not to. In general, worldwide, yes. You can find infant growth charts for breastfed babies on the kellymom site, which I have linked. That site will be updated to be consistent with the WHO charts, in the near future. I liked this quote (bolding mine):

Healthy breastfed infants tend to grow more rapidly than formula-fed infants in the first 2-3 months of life and less rapidly from 3 to 12 months. All growth charts available at this time include data from infants who were not exclusively breastfed for the first 6 months (includes formula-fed infants and those starting solids before the recommended 6 months). Because many doctors are not aware of this, they see the baby dropping in percentiles on the growth chart and often come to the faulty conclusion that the baby is not growing adequately. At this point they often recommend that the mother (unnecessarily) supplement with formula or solids, and sometimes recommend that they stop breastfeeding altogether. Even if mom realizes that her baby is perfectly healthy and doesn't follow these unnecessary recommendations, she ends up worrying for no reason (and moms don't need anything extra to worry about!).
    I have done a lot of research about charting, as I have a child with a growth problem, and my doctors, even before we knew it was medical, never indicated it was related to breastfeeding, because thankfully, they knew better.

Erin
    Wife to a grizzly
    Mama to my little deer (12/05) my loving bear cub (9/07--), and our little tiger (3/22/10)
    Born by one c-section and 2 amazing VBACs

Miles in 2012: 350.5/900 (Actual Miles Ran: 189)
    Miles in 2011: 708.5 (Actual Miles Ran: 509)
    Miles in 2010: 800.5 (Actual Miles Ran: 620)

January Miles: 37.5/75
    February Miles: 59/75
    March Miles: 42.5/60
    April Miles: 64
    May Miles: 41/70
    June Miles: 59
    July Miles: 39.5

227.5 miles on my new shoes
    338 miles on my old shoes

ack well wade started out large at 10 lbs 14 ozs he is 3 months and alittle over 16 lbs i am guessen

And Dr Sear's has some figures too...

http://www.askdrsears.com/html/2/T023600.asp

Apparently Ashley is a 'banana baby' !
    Karli, Besotted mother of Ashley,8lb 9oz - 9th May 2007 and Fae 8lb 11oz 17th Feb 2010, both born at home, naturally.

Nappy-free @ 18 months EC'ing rocks!
    Just leave it alone.

Because most formulas are based on cow's milk and calves are meant to put on more weight than a human baby, human babies fed on cow's milk weight more and have heavier bones. Not exactly the way nature intended. The ratio of nutrients is balanced differently than in mothers' milk. Unfortuantly, because so many babies are fed formula, most doctors use their growth charts. Your LC might be able to get you a BF bay growth chart, mine did.

I FF my twins (who were term babies), and BF my singleton. My singleton was much chubbier than my twins were at 6 months, and gained weight quicker. Go figure.

Quote Originally Posted by ashleysmum View Post
    Apparently Ashley is a 'banana baby' !
    So's mine... At almost 8 months and eating a few solids, she's finally getting a little paunch. But I love the fact that my milk has kept her in the 75th percentile for height!
    for 1-1/2 years...and still going!

Maybe one of these days i'll get round to weighing my bub. Havent been near any scales other than the ones at the supermarket, think they'll do?
    Karli, Besotted mother of Ashley,8lb 9oz - 9th May 2007 and Fae 8lb 11oz 17th Feb 2010, both born at home, naturally.

Nappy-free @ 18 months EC'ing rocks!
    Just leave it alone.

My infant weighed 6lbs 11 oz at birth, He is EF and is now 12 lbs 4 oz

My cousin had a baby 3 days later...her is FF. He weighed 8lbs 13oz at birth and is now 14 lbs 9oz.

My friend Emily had her baby 5 days after mine and her daughter is FF. She weighed 5 lbs 6oz at birth and is now 9lbs.

My best friend (yes we had quite the week of births!) was born at 6lbs 8oz and he isnt quite 9 lbs. He is FF also.

My point is it doesnt matter on FF or BF as far as weight because EACH BABY IS DIFFERENT.

My son is in 50%tile......my daughter (who was ff) is in 20%tile and my special needs son (also ff) is in 15%tile.

My ped says in general she finds that BF babies are bigger in the first 6 months and then slow down while FF babies just keep growing.

That makes sense, as formula doesn't change to meet their needs like breastmilk does, and many FF babies are also encouraged to finish bottles, while that's sorta hard to do with a BF baby. IME, FF moms also tend to start solids earlier and stuff the babies full of calories.

That said, it's better to not compare individual babies. Besides what they are fed, genetics plays a role in each child's growth.
    Susan
    Mama to my all-natural boys: Ian, 9-4-04, 11.5 lbs; Colton, 11-7-06, 9 lbs, in the water; Logan, 12-8-08, 9 lbs; Gavin, 1-18-11, 9 lbs; and an angel 1-15-06
    18+ months and for Gavin, born with an incomplete cleft lip and incomplete posterior cleft palate
    Sealed for time and eternity, 7-7-93
    Always babywearing, cosleeping and cloth diapering. Living with oppositional defiant disorder and ADHD. Ask me about cloth diapering and sewing your own diapers!