Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: HELP!!!! I think I am giving up!

Default Re: HELP!!!! I think I am giving up!

Quote Originally Posted by epbrown View Post
    It is completely normal to feel like all you do is breastfeed in the first few weeks (4-6 weeks, actually) and its also "normal" for baby to fall asleep while nursing. That's why they say to feed on demand and not according to a clock. I don't know much about your supply, but have you felt your milk come in? Do you feel a letdown when you nurse? Is the baby swallowing when you are nursing without the sns?
    I have been feeding on demand. Hmmm, as far as feeling my milk come in? Maybe for 4-5 hours when he was 3 days old... Let-down??? Never. I seldom ever hear the baby swallowing when he nurses. I am healthy and I get plenty of fluidsso I am at a loss when I keep trying to figure what I did wrong. I even had an unassisted birth at home in the water to an over 10lb baby! This should be easy right?!?!? If I don't use the sns (pita) he will pretty much refure me.

Quote Originally Posted by Number3 View Post
    I wonder off hand why it is you think you're not producing enough? The pump output doesn't indicate what your baby is getting.

- Here's a link with some info on how to tell if baby is getting enough. It may put your mind at ease

He won't pee or poo without supplements. He went more than 24 hours of not peeing when he was 4 days old and lost a bit over a lb. When I gave him a supplement and he finally peed, the urine was super dark. I feel so guilty when I hear him crying out of hunger.

did that just happen once? I mean what does the doc say about that? It seems like it happened just one time?
    Click here to find an LLL leader near you...or call 1 877 4 LA LECHE for help now.

"No one can make you feel inferior without your consent."
    Eleanor Roosevelt

"Do not go where the path may lead, go instead where there is no path and leave a trail."
    Emerson

Ban the bags. ......... Watch your language. ....... Help keep Dr Newman's clinic open!

We demand that our childcare providers are CPR certified... why don't we demand the same of ourselves! Get certified!

I lost 22 lbs in 8 months... with a bit of determination and common sense information from this book.

Yeah, just once. But when I try to bf him without any supplements, he won't pee until he's had one. as for poo, once a day.

So how long will he/you go w/o the supplement? Also as for poos - he's about 2 weeks right? Once a day poos seems almost age appropriate. Here's a quote from the page I linked to...
    Some breastfed babies, after the first three to four weeks of life, may suddenly change their stool pattern from many each day, to one every three days or even less.
    Has the pedi gave his thoughts on it all? Have you been back for the 2 wk checkup to see weight gain? If not - you can always drop in and have them do a weight check - and they should do it for free

Here's another quote from the same page....

Any baby between five and 21 days of age who does not pass at least one substantial bowel movement within a 24 hour period should be seen at the breastfeeding clinic the same day. Generally, small, infrequent bowel movements during this time period mean insufficient intake. There are definitely some exceptions and everything may be fine, but it is better to check.
    I give you that one since your baby is what about 14 days (not so good with the math ) can you call a LLL or IBCLC for their take on it all??? (links in my siggy)
    Last edited by Number3; June 27th, 2007 at 11:50 AM.
    Click here to find an LLL leader near you...or call 1 877 4 LA LECHE for help now.

"No one can make you feel inferior without your consent."
    Eleanor Roosevelt

"Do not go where the path may lead, go instead where there is no path and leave a trail."
    Emerson

Ban the bags. ......... Watch your language. ....... Help keep Dr Newman's clinic open!

We demand that our childcare providers are CPR certified... why don't we demand the same of ourselves! Get certified!

I lost 22 lbs in 8 months... with a bit of determination and common sense information from this book.

Your message reminds me of me the first few weeks.

I know how frustrating it can all be. My LO wasn't gaining weight quick enough due to a tongue tie issue which was resolved a month after his birth. So after nursing I had to pump and give him that milk.

You output sounds normal for a nursing mom. It's tough to pump more than that right after you nurse him.

For now, just feed on demand. It will seem like it's all you're doing, but believe me it will get better. I too felt like giving up, but I'm glad I stuck with it. Try to attend a LLL meeting..the support will help you. And of course come back to the forums.
    Mom to Colin Robert - Born on January 28, 2007

Check out my website:
    www.nycbreastfeeding.com

[QUOTE=Number3;220550]So how long will he/you go w/o the supplement? Also as for poos - he's about 2 weeks right? Once a day poos seems almost age appropriate.

i've tried to go 5-6 hours wo a supplement and he won't pee. i will nurse him and he will cry and suck his fists and i could continue to nurse and he continues to be hungry. He is at the point that he screams 5 seconds after latching on because i dont think anything is coming out.... he will be 2 weeks on friday. sorry about the typos. i am one handed when my little guy is nursing
    We have a family doc and she is also a lc. She says his latch is perfect and gave me all the suggestions she could vgive. i just can't afford further help. i have contacted lll and spoke to a leader but again, i have done everything i was told 2 do.

Quote Originally Posted by bassethouse View Post
    He was born at 10lbs, 1.5oz and lost 1 lb in 4 days. He also had no wet dipes or bm after the meconium passed. I took him to our family Doc and she said that losing 10% of body weight is normal which I already knew. The problem was that he continuously cried and no pee or poo in over 24 hours. I was a bit freaked to say the least.
    Yes, no poop or pee definitely is a signal that baby isn't getting enough to eat.

I have been supplementing with an sns and formula.
    When he latches on with the SNS, is he actively sucking on the breast (you can feel a gentle tug on your nipple), or does it appear that he is mostly sucking on the SNS tube?

After feedings, I pump for about 10-15 minutes.
    What type of pump are you using? Do your breasts feel softer after feeding/pumping? How often are you feeding/pumping?

I am taking goats rue, fenugreek and blessed thistle to increase my milk supply and seeing no results. When I pump after his feedings, I can't even get 1/4 ounce.

Can you tell us a bit about the birth? Did you lose a lot of blood? Any chance that you could have a partial retained placenta?

Have you ever had any breast surgery or injury?

Are yout taking any medications at all (other than the herbs you listed)?

Are you anemic?

Do you have any known hormonal imbalances? Any thyroid issues?

Do you feel that your baby's suck is strong? Are you nipples sore at all?

I feel like I can't even enjoy my new baby boy because I am a slave to the sns (which is a pain) and the pump. A feeding could last more than an hour. I also have 3 dd's that need to be tended to but I am worthless when I am working this hard.
    Do you have any help at home?

What do you feel could make your breastfeeding experience more enjoyable? And what are your nursing goals?

We have already seen a lc and she said his latch was perfect, and looks like he is doing his job. So I ask, why am I not producing milk????
    We'll try to help you figure that out.

Do know that a latch can appear perfect on the outside, but not be perfect on the inside. It's what's going on *inside* baby's mouth that matters.

I am now $500 in the hole (the cost to see the doc, lc, herbs, pump, etc...)
    You sound so frustrated!

I have noticed that my baby thinks of me as a giant paci to fall asleep on. He doesn't stay awake beyond 2 minutes of nursing. I have tried everything short of being cruel!!! Well, I was cruel today when he got an ice pack on his feet. And well, that didn't even work.... I am sorry to ramble on lik,e this but I am up to my ears in frustration... Any suggestions?????
    He doesn't actively nurse for very long despite the SNS?

I want to respond to the rest of your posts in this thread, but again, I'm out the door for now. I will respond back to your replies tonight!

[QUOTE=LLL_Jolie;220793]Yes, no poop or pee definitely is a signal that baby isn't getting enough to eat.

When he latches on with the SNS, is he actively sucking on the breast (you can feel a gentle tug on your nipple), or does it appear that he is mostly sucking on the SNS tube?

yup, he latces. I ca feel a gentle tug (when he is awake) and he is not just sucking on the tube.

What type of pump are you using? Do your breasts feel softer after feeding/pumping? How often are you feeding/pumping?

I have an Ameda Purely yours pump. He feeds 8-10 x's a day and I pump 3-4 x's a day.

Can you tell us a bit about the birth? Did you lose a lot of blood? Any chance that you could have a partial retained placenta?

i had an unassisted waterbirth at home. Yhe nurses came in time for me to deliver the placenta. I don't think had more than what is normal for blood loss.

Have you ever had any breast surgery or injury?

nope.....

Are yout taking any medications at all (other than the herbs you listed)?

prenatals...

Are you anemic? nope

Do you have any known hormonal imbalances? Any thyroid issues? i don't think so.. Does being moody count?

Do you feel that your baby's suck is strong? Are you nipples sore at all?

when the baby is awake, yes. my nipples are not sore. the were a little bit sore in the beginning but that has subsided...

Do you have any help at home?

I wish I did. I have no one to call... My dh stayed home for the first week but is now back to work...

What do you feel could make your breastfeeding experience more enjoyable? And what are your nursing goals?

Hmmmmm, more milk? not having to deal with using the sns as it takes time to disassemble it, wash it, reassamble, making formula... It is a downright pain in the butt!!! My goal is to nurse and only nurse without using a supplement. I'd like to nurse beyond a year. This is my last baby and I don't get to do this again.

We'll try to help you figure that out.

Thanks a billion!

He doesn't actively nurse for very long despite the SNS? nope...

I am just getting so exhausted.
    Any chance you could have someone come in and help with your older children and do simple chores while you go lie down with, or concentrate on nursing your baby? That way, you could rest, relax, and nurse at the same time.

If you don't have any family that could fulfill this role, you could ask around your community. Sometimes seniors will come into your home and help for free! Another alternative is to hire a teen or college student (cheap!) for the position. Even one or two days a week would be very helpful.

One of my major problems is that my LO sleeps for 5-6 hours at night and being that I am beond sleep deprived, I am sometimes not waking up... I have to use the sns with every feeding or he would be starving.
    Have you considered using the SNS for all other feedings and nursing without it at the late night feeding? You could bring him into bed with you (following the rules for safe co-sleeping, of course) and doze while he nurses.

I don't want to give up. I am planning on never giving up I am just so dissapointed.

My baby likes to sleep even during feedings. I am starting to think that my breast are just big giant pillows that have a neon sign hanging off of them that says "sleep here"!!!
    How soon into the feeding, typically, does he drift off to sleep? When you see him drifting off, what methods do you try to keep him awake? Did you speak to your IBCLC about his sleepiness?

When you see him start to drift off to sleep, you could try compressing the breast. If that's not working, you could try temporarily increasing the flow of the SNS. The goal is to keep him actively sucking for a longer period of time.

Like you said, when you have other children to tend to and LO can't wait the supplement follows. If only the day would have more hours...

Does this stuff really work?
    Yes, domperidone does work for some mothers.

It's important to remember that no galactagogue (milk increaser) will work unless milk is frequently and adequately removed from the breast.

Tried it... Kellymom is a great site! I really can't get much beyond a small drop when I compress. Will this still work?
    Yes. Keep trying!

Have you ever tried hand expression?

I have been feeding on demand. Hmmm, as far as feeling my milk come in? Maybe for 4-5 hours when he was 3 days old... Let-down??? Never. I seldom ever hear the baby swallowing when he nurses. I am healthy and I get plenty of fluidsso I am at a loss when I keep trying to figure what I did wrong. I even had an unassisted birth at home in the water to an over 10lb baby! This should be easy right?!?!? If I don't use the sns (pita) he will pretty much refure me.
    So, your baby nursed early and often from the start. Your milk increased on day three. Correct?

When did he begin to fall asleep at the breast?

He won't pee or poo without supplements. He went more than 24 hours of not peeing when he was 4 days old and lost a bit over a lb. When I gave him a supplement and he finally peed, the urine was super dark. I feel so guilty when I hear him crying out of hunger.
    I wonder if it has always been that he is not staying awake long enough to bring down the milk? What is your feeling on this? From what you're describing, it sounds like his sleepy behavior could be the reason why he is not able to get enough milk from the breast.

Yeah, just once. But when I try to bf him without any supplements, he won't pee until he's had one. as for poo, once a day.
    Are you also supplementing with your milk? And how many total ounces of formula is he taking per day?

i've tried to go 5-6 hours wo a supplement and he won't pee.
    Does he fall alsleep at the breast or does he "finish" his meal?

i will nurse him and he will cry and suck his fists and i could continue to nurse and he continues to be hungry. He is at the point that he screams 5 seconds after latching on because i dont think anything is coming out.... he will be 2 weeks on friday.
    Could you try hand expressing or pumping long enough to get the flow started for him? Once he's latched on and sucking well, compress to send some more milk down for him. You could try nursing without the sns for as long as he tolerates. It's not too difficult to slip in the tube once he's already latched on and sucking well.

sorry about the typos. i am one handed when my little guy is nursing
    No problem! We understand. <---nursing at keyboard

We have a family doc and she is also a lc. She says his latch is perfect and gave me all the suggestions she could vgive. i just can't afford further help. i have contacted lll and spoke to a leader but again, i have done everything i was told 2 do.
    Can you give me some examples of suggestions you were given and things you tried?

yup, he latces. I ca feel a gentle tug (when he is awake) and he is not just sucking on the tube.
    GREAT! So, the key, then, is to keep him awake!

I have an Ameda Purely yours pump. He feeds 8-10 x's a day and I pump 3-4 x's a day.
    To increase milk, more milk has to be removed. If your baby isn't able to nurse for long enough or suck stongly enough to remove enough milk, over time, your production levels will decrease. Soooo...what is needed is 1) encourage your baby to actively nurse longer and 2) remove more milk by pumping or hand expression.

Until your baby is better able to remove milk, I would suggest pumping after as many feedings as you can, and between feedings as often as you can (even if it's just a quick five minute session--something is better than nothing!). I do understand you are home alone with two young children and a newborn and I understand (fully!) that it makes things harder and more complicated. However, I also understand that you really want to increase your production and reduce or elimate all supplements. Removing more milk (so your body gets the signal to make more milk) is really the way to do it. HOW you remove that milk is totally up to you!

Is there ANY chance at all you could rent a hospital grade pump? A hospital grade pump is more efficient at *increasing* milk production. If money is a concern, sometimes insurance will cover this under "durable medical equipment" if your baby's doctor will write a prescription. Another option would be to look into WIC services as a pump is often covered through WIC. If you can't get a hospital grade, then a full size double electric (like the Purely Yours that you are using) is the next best thing.

No matter which pump you use, assure that all the tubing and membranes are in good order and are attached to the pump properly. This will assure that your pump is working at optimal levels.

Once your baby is latched on and nursing well, you could try pumping on one side while your baby nurses on the other. How do you do this, you ask? With a do-it-yourself hands free kit, of course! You could cut slits into a tube top, cut slits into an old bra, or even use this clever idea which calls for your pump and some hair ties! http://www.kellymom.com/bf/pumping/h...e-pumping.html This works especially well if you have baby in the football hold or cross cradle hold. You can use your free hand to compress the nursing side, adjust the sns tube, whatever you need. The bonus of this set up is that pumping and nursing at the same time increases the oxytocin levels. This could mean that your baby gets more milk for his efforts.

Another option is to pump after every feeding that you can manage (aim for 6 or more). This will tell your body that you need more milk!

If you don't have time to get out the pump and all the supplies, hand express! Less clean up. If you need links and information on how to hand express, please let me know!

Some mothers wipe their pump parts clean after nursing, then store in the fridge until needed again. Then, they sterilize (or clean in hot, soapy water) once or twice a day instead of after every pumping session. Does that sound like it might help you?

Hmmmmm, more milk? not having to deal with using the sns as it takes time to disassemble it, wash it, reassamble, making formula... It is a downright pain in the butt!!!
    Have you considered other methods of supplementing?

Are you using the SNS or the lactaid? Do you only have one unit?

My goal is to nurse and only nurse without using a supplement. I'd like to nurse beyond a year. This is my last baby and I don't get to do this again.
    We'd love to help you reach your goals! Hang in there!