Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: HELP!!!! I think I am giving up!

Default HELP!!!! I think I am giving up!

Hi all,

This is my first post here. I just had my baby boy on the 15th of June. From the start we have had problems. He was born at 10lbs, 1.5oz and lost 1 lb in 4 days. He also had no wet dipes or bm after the meconium passed. I took him to our family Doc and she said that losing 10% of body weight is normal which I already knew. The problem was that he continuously cried and no pee or poo in over 24 hours. I was a bit freaked to say the least. I have been supplementing with an sns and formula. I am not at all thrilled about this, but I can not let him starve. After feedings, I pump for about 10-15 minutes. I am taking goats rue, fenugreek and blessed thistle to increase my milk supply and seeing no results. When I pump after his feedings, I can't even get 1/4 ounce. I feel like I can't even enjoy my new baby boy because I am a slave to the sns (which is a pain) and the pump. A feeding could last more than an hour. I also have 3 dd's that need to be tended to but I am worthless when I am working this hard. We have already seen a lc and she said his latch was perfect, and looks like he is doing his job. So I ask, why am I not producing milk???? I am now $500 in the hole (the cost to see the doc, lc, herbs, pump, etc...) I have noticed that my baby thinks of me as a giant paci to fall asleep on. He doesn't stay awake beyond 2 minutes of nursing. I have tried everything short of being cruel!!! Well, I was cruel today when he got an ice pack on his feet. And well, that didn't even work.... I am sorry to ramble on lik,e this but I am up to my ears in frustration... Any suggestions?????

Default Re: HELP!!!! I think I am giving up!

dont give up...how much fenugreek are u taking the 610mg 3 times a day? as far as supplementing im not familiar with SNS, but i had problems at first my lo lost lots of weight she was jaudiced and i had little milk production so this is what i did..i took the fenugreek and supplemented with formula she was on supplements about every other feeding and i let her latch inbetween if she wanted for comfort..i did this until my milk supply got better...now she has a bottle 1 or maybe twice a day.im still trying to EBF but theres times im tending to my other 2 and she wont wait and neither will they...so it gets better i promise i didnt think so but it does have u tried looking at www.kellymom.com its a great site anyway keep up and dont give up

what about domperidone?

I'm about to leave for the afternoon, so this will be quick. I'll post more later...

Congratulations on your newest arrival!

You said:
    " I have noticed that my baby thinks of me as a giant paci to fall asleep on. He doesn't stay awake beyond 2 minutes of nursing. I have tried everything short of being cruel!!! Well, I was cruel today when he got an ice pack on his feet. And well, that didn't even work"

From this, it sounds like he is falling asleep before he gets enough milk. What you can do is wait until his sucking slows (or he starts to drift off to sleep) and compress your breast. This will send down more milk for him, he will swallow, then out of reflex, suck again. This helps to keep him sucking at the breast longer and helps him take in more milk for his efforts. Here's some information:
    Breast compressions how-to:
    http://www.kellymom.com/newman/15bre...mpression.html
    Video:
    www.thebirthden.com/Newman.html

I'll be back later with more.

HTH!

I actually am having the same problem, but haven't really invested in herbals or anything...I have a hand pump that I use maybe once or twice a day to help increase my supply. Otherwise, I feel like all I do is breastfeed all day. Is this normal? I keep reading to let baby feed as long and as frequent as he likes. I also supplement 1-4 2oz. bottles a day (depending on the day, how hungry,etc..) My child was born on June 14th... Every time I pump, I only get about 3/4 of oz. from both breasts....
    Thanks for posting this and know that you are not alone. Any advice out there would also be greatly appreciated by me too...

It is completely normal to feel like all you do is breastfeed in the first few weeks (4-6 weeks, actually) and its also "normal" for baby to fall asleep while nursing. That's why they say to feed on demand and not according to a clock. I don't know much about your supply, but have you felt your milk come in? Do you feel a letdown when you nurse? Is the baby swallowing when you are nursing without the sns?

Erin
    Wife to a grizzly
    Mama to my little deer (12/05) my loving bear cub (9/07--), and our little tiger (3/22/10)
    Born by one c-section and 2 amazing VBACs

Miles in 2012: 350.5/900 (Actual Miles Ran: 189)
    Miles in 2011: 708.5 (Actual Miles Ran: 509)
    Miles in 2010: 800.5 (Actual Miles Ran: 620)

January Miles: 37.5/75
    February Miles: 59/75
    March Miles: 42.5/60
    April Miles: 64
    May Miles: 41/70
    June Miles: 59
    July Miles: 39.5

227.5 miles on my new shoes
    338 miles on my old shoes

Quote Originally Posted by MELISSA316 View Post
    dont give up...how much fenugreek are u taking the 610mg 3 times a day? as far as supplementing im not familiar with SNS, but i had problems at first my lo lost lots of weight she was jaudiced and i had little milk production so this is what i did..i took the fenugreek and supplemented with formula she was on supplements about every other feeding and i let her latch inbetween if she wanted for comfort..i did this until my milk supply got better...now she has a bottle 1 or maybe twice a day.im still trying to EBF but theres times im tending to my other 2 and she wont wait and neither will they...so it gets better i promise i didnt think so but it does have u tried looking at www.kellymom.com its a great site anyway keep up and dont give up

Sounds like we're in the same boat... I am aking an herbal supplement by motherlove. It has fenugreek, blessed thistle, fennel and goats rue. Im also drinking mother's milk tea. I am just getting so exhausted. One of my major problems is that my LO sleeps for 5-6 hours at night and being that I am beond sleep deprived, I am sometimes not waking up... I have to use the sns with every feeding or he would be starving. I don't want to give up. I am planning on never giving up I am just so dissapointed. My baby likes to sleep even during feedings. I am starting to think that my breast are just big giant pillows that have a neon sign hanging off of them that says "sleep here"!!! Like you said, when you have other children to tend to and LO can't wait the supplement follows. If only the day would have more hours...

Quote Originally Posted by wrappedupnu View Post
    what about domperidone?

I just made my order yesterday and I am waiting for it now... Does this stuff really work? I am so low on milk that it is safe to say I couldn't nourish a single hungry ant Have you taken this before or know someone who has with success? TIA

I wonder off hand why it is you think you're not producing enough? The pump output doesn't indicate what your baby is getting.

- Here's a link with some info on how to tell if baby is getting enough. It may put your mind at ease
    Last edited by Number3; June 27th, 2007 at 11:15 AM.
    Click here to find an LLL leader near you...or call 1 877 4 LA LECHE for help now.

"No one can make you feel inferior without your consent."
    Eleanor Roosevelt

"Do not go where the path may lead, go instead where there is no path and leave a trail."
    Emerson

Ban the bags. ......... Watch your language. ....... Help keep Dr Newman's clinic open!

We demand that our childcare providers are CPR certified... why don't we demand the same of ourselves! Get certified!

I lost 22 lbs in 8 months... with a bit of determination and common sense information from this book.

Quote Originally Posted by LLL_Jolie View Post
    I'm about to leave for the afternoon, so this will be quick. I'll post more later...

Congratulations on your newest arrival!

You said:
    " I have noticed that my baby thinks of me as a giant paci to fall asleep on. He doesn't stay awake beyond 2 minutes of nursing. I have tried everything short of being cruel!!! Well, I was cruel today when he got an ice pack on his feet. And well, that didn't even work"

From this, it sounds like he is falling asleep before he gets enough milk. What you can do is wait until his sucking slows (or he starts to drift off to sleep) and compress your breast. This will send down more milk for him, he will swallow, then out of reflex, suck again. This helps to keep him sucking at the breast longer and helps him take in more milk for his efforts. Here's some information:
    Breast compressions how-to:
    http://www.kellymom.com/newman/15bre...mpression.html
    Video:
    www.thebirthden.com/Newman.html

I'll be back later with more.

HTH!
    Tried it... Kellymom is a great site! I really can't get much beyond a small drop when I compress. Will this still work?