Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Solids at 4 months???

Question Solids at 4 months???

I was reading a jar of Earth's Best Organic baby food the other day and noticed that is said "age 4 months and up"

When do you introduce food to your baby?

When do you introduce cereal? I know that for some weird reason this is not considered a solid (baffles me as I think it is a solid)!

With my first son he began cereal @ 9 weeks and then baby food @ 3 months.

My second son had cereal in his bottle because of reflux issues and began baby food @ 3 months.....

But.... both were formula fed.... I know there is suppose to be a difference with BF babies..... do I begin @ 3 months.... even though she is almost 4 months.....

At dinner she sits with us and seems to drool at us when we eat. She is kinds holding her head up on her own..... it still jiggles a small amount. She is not sitting on her own. She is great with her tongue! She has been taking 1.5 ml of Noni juice since birth at least once a day as well as Acidophilus mixed with 1 ounce of water and she does not thrush it out and gobbles it down.

Jenn Parker - Tahitian Noni Distributor - www.jennparker.com
    Ever wonder what the "99.9% other ingredients" are in your Laundry and cleaning products?
    Ask me how to get Chemical free, better, safer, less expensive cleaning
    and laundry care products delivered to your door step.
    www.iwantsafeproducts.com 540-222-1181

Default Re: Solids at 4 months???

Well ... I think it stands to reason that the company selling baby food will want you to start solids as young as possible. So don't put too much weight on the jar's label.

I've never heard that cereal is not considered a solid food.

I believe LLL's recommendation is to begin solids around the middle of the first year. And four years ago when my son was a baby, the AAP's recommendation was to wait until 6 months, so that the gut would no longer be "leaky" (a food allergy concern).

Here's a link I think addresses the readiness issue very nicely:

http://www.wiessinger.baka.com/bfing/older/solids.html

--Rebecca

Smile Re: Solids at 4 months???

I agree with Quakkermomma, of course the baby food companies want us to start our children on food at a younger age, they definitely stand to benefit financially.

I'm including the World Health Organizations link to their position on Nutrition for infants and young children.

Here's part of what they say:

Exclusive Breastfeeding

Breastfeeding is an unequalled way of providing ideal food for the healthy growth and development of infants; it is also an integral part of the reproductive process with important implications for the health of mothers. A recent review of evidence has shown that, on a population basis, exclusive breastfeeding for 6 months is the optimal way of feeding infants. Thereafter infants should receive complementary foods with continued breastfeeding up to 2 years of age or beyond.

http://www.who.int/child-adolescent-..._exclusive.htm

Hope that helps.

About DC being interested when you eat, of course they are, but they are also no doubt interested when you use the phone or when you are reading, doesn't mean they are ready to use te phone or read themselves.