Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Empty from pumping?

Default Empty from pumping?

I'm now back at work full time and have to pump 2-3 times a day, but my breasts never really feel empty. Are they suppose to? I'm only able to pump about 1 1/2 oz from both breasts each session (ea. session lasting 10-15min). I'm unfortunately very prone to clogged ducts and want to know of any tips on how to completely empty from a pump. I have a Medela Pump in Style. I'm so tired of dealing with these clogged ducts.

Default Re: Empty from pumping?

Although this might not be everyone else's answer, when I am pumping, I squeeze the breast and I notice an increase in the amount of milk coming out. I can see it shooting in all different directions. I just switch sides every few minutes. If I do that, I tend to get more milk out per session, despite the fact that I have a hospital-grade pump. HTH.

I agree with the previous poster. I massage while I am pumping and it helps alot! I just keep massaging and then switch which side I am massaging back and forth the whole time I am pumping. Makes it harder to read a magazine while I pump - but oh well! I also keep pumping for a few minutes once there is no more milk flowing when I notice my milk supply not keeping up.

I am all over the place with how much I get each pumping session as my baby sleeps through the night one day and then doesn't the next. So sometimes I have milk comming out my ears and other times I can't get enough for daycare the next day. I just try not to stress about it (I just tell myself that is what my frezer stash is for).

As for the feeling; I just try to make sure they are soft and floppy. If my lo sleeps through the night then I can really tell the difference before and after. Those are also the times I am watching the clock waiting for my first pump time. Overall I think by massaging them I am more in tune with how they feel before and after so that is my main suggestion.

Call me crazy, but this is how I know as well, since even when my breasts are full they are semi-floppy:

If, while wearing my bra, I have space between my breasts, they are good. If I don't have any or much, I still need to try to empty them, even if that means some manual expression.

When they fill up, they literally shove into each other and there is no space between them.