Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Cleaning Question

Default Cleaning Question

I have the Medela PIS that I have been using for about 6 months. I pump when away from dd. My question is is that for the past few weeks I have been having a hard time cleaning the attachment that connects the sheild to the bottle(not sure what it's called). Especially one side is getting molding right in the middle where nothing that I have for cleaning will fit.I have used a bottle brush the small side, I have used a tooth pick, I boiled them yesterday for what seemed like forever and I have even tried the dishwasher and nothing works efficiently. Any tips? Much appreciated!!

Default Re: Cleaning Question

do you mean on the tubing? I have a medela lactina and my tubing is all grimey and i've wondered the same thing....
    maybe someone knows the answer...

Mine gets that way and I boil the parts for about 15 minutes....then take a toothpick and little bitty bit of a paper towel to the inside parts. Most of the time this works. Boiling helps loosen up the moldy stuff...I also have replaced just that part a few times....some website will sell medela PIS parts fairly cheaply, though I can't remember the exact site! Have you tried boiling with soap in the water? I do that for icky pots and pans....it might work for this too.

We have Dr. Brown's bottles for daycare and they come with a very small little brush to clean all the extra parts they have.
    Those brushes are perfect for that connector piece from my PIS adavnced (I assume the part in question is the same).
    So I soak the part in a dish of hot soapy water for a bit and then go after it with the litte brush. I also had the yellow piece that the membrane snaps into stuck on one of them for quite some time and had to have my DH pry it off (I told him if he broke it that was ok - it was too dirty to keep using that way). And I was able to get that one all cleaned back up with the little brush.
    And then I run all the parts through the dishwasher on occasion and also through the sanitize cycle in our bottle warmer - you can never be too carefull!
    But overall those little Dr. Browns brushes are the perfect size to get all the little nooks and crannies in the connector clean!

I have the Medela PIS and the part in between the bottle and the horn (not sure what you call it) does come apart even further. You can actually take that little, thin, white rubbery flap out and break it down all the way and scrub inside of it. For hard to reach spots, q-tips work really well. I used the top rack of the dishwasher each day, then I would boil everything weekly. I would just dip it in the boiling water for a few seconds. HTH.
    Mother - Wife - Artist - Cook - Writer - EnvironMENTAList - Cloth Diaperer (but we are soooo done with diapers) - Organic Health Nut...I'm sure there's more.

DD1 - 12/15/05 Breastfed for 16.5 months
    DD2 - 8/6/07 Breastfed for 3 whole years and 3 little, extra days.

Thanks for all the great ideas. I never thought of a Q-tip I did not know the connector came apart more either. I will have to try both ideas tonight! I will let you knwo how it all works!

Smile Re: Cleaning Question

2 suggestions:
    1) Dr. Brown's Bottles sell a very tiny brush for cleaning the tubes of their bottles. It fits Perfectly so that is what I use to clean those small areas.
    2) Does your DH own a air compresser? Before we found the Dr. Brown's scrub brushes my DH came up with the idea of getting them good and soapy and Blowing them out. Then we rinse and boil. It works but was funny the first time when he lots his grip and shot it across the kitchen.
    Samantha: born 3 1/2 weeks early on Sept 2006 6lbs 4 oz 18 inches long with situs inversus totalis. Now a strong healthy little girl that wants to be a NICU doctor, loves her little sister and breastfeeds her dolls!
    Milk donated with while nursing first LO: 2,200 oz
    Alexandra: born 3 weeks early on July 2010 7lbs 8 oz 19.5 inches long.
    Milk donated with while nursing first LO: 1,200

For information on becoming a Breastmilk Donor http://hmbana.org/index/donatemilk