Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Is Lexapro safe while bfing?

Default Is Lexapro safe while bfing?

My doctor just prescribed me with Lexapro to deal with ppd. Just wondering if anyone new if that was okay to take??? Hoping someone had Dr. Hale's book or website to find out. The Dr. said it would be safe but he also said most drugs are safe.

TIA

Erin
    Wife to a grizzly
    Mama to my little deer (12/05) my loving bear cub (9/07--), and our little tiger (3/22/10)
    Born by one c-section and 2 amazing VBACs

Miles in 2012: 350.5/900 (Actual Miles Ran: 189)
    Miles in 2011: 708.5 (Actual Miles Ran: 509)
    Miles in 2010: 800.5 (Actual Miles Ran: 620)

January Miles: 37.5/75
    February Miles: 59/75
    March Miles: 42.5/60
    April Miles: 64
    May Miles: 41/70
    June Miles: 59
    July Miles: 39.5

227.5 miles on my new shoes
    338 miles on my old shoes

Default Re: Is Lexapro safe while bfing?

actually when I was preggers I was on lexapro early in my pregnancy for a while, and at a WIC apt she printed something up for me, I think even from a book she had, that stated that lexapro was not so good when bf, I need to try and find it and I can post what it says, but I mean of course this was a wic person not a DR, I know some ladies on here have links to a list, I think zoloft is the safest one *hugs*
    Melanie
    Proud Army Wife to James
    Loving Mommy to DS Gavin: March 16, 2006 and DSS Cody: Feb 13, 1998
    Banners/Photos/HC

Hi,

I looked up some info on kellymom.com for you. This page discusses nursing and depression medications.
    http://www.kellymom.com/health/meds/...hale10-02.html
    It doesn't say anything about the one you mentioned, you might want to investigate taking a different drug if you can.

Hale classifies Lexapro as a LRC L3 (moderately safe) and indicates that pediatric concerns include reports from the manufacturer of several cases of somnolence (sleepiness) in newborn infants with citalopram and Hale has received numerous reports with escitalopram (Lexapro). Caution is recommended in newborn or young infants.

Also, on Hale's website he mentions that sleepiness is probably unlikely but mom's should watch their babies for this. Hale mentioned to someone on his website that if they're concerned about Lexapro then to try Zoloft instead. http://66.230.33.248/discus/messages/43/184.html

HTH!