Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Reflux? Oversupply?

Default Reflux? Oversupply?

Hello and sorry this is long but I wasn't sure what was relevant so wanted to include everything.

My daughter is three and a half weeks and we have recently (last week or so) been having problems with feeding. She fusses on and off the breast, screaming, arching her back, coughing and spluttering. She'll scream, come off the breast, then really frantically start rooting and headbutting my nipple to get back on, only to pull off screaming again.

Quite often the screaming continues on and off for about 20 mins after a feed. I took her to the doctor (just our GP, not a paed) who gave said it was refux and gave us some infant Gaviscon.

We've also been keeping her upright for about 40 mins after a feed as lying her down seems to hurt her, although we are now having problems getting her to lie down flat at all which is making night times very difficult. We wait for her to fall asleep on my chest or H's chest so she's upright, then put her down, and she wakes up crying after a few minutes.

I was having really easy night times before this started, as I was feeding her lying down side by side, which I loved, and it was really easy with her falling asleep straight away and going back in her moses basket. Now every feed takes ages and she gets really upset

I've been doing some research on here and Kellymom and various sites and think it may be oversupply. She has green, froathy stools, which I put down to the antibiotics I've been on for mastitis (but finished four days ago and stools still dark green).

Also, quite often when she pulls off my milk is spurting and gets everywhere. I have given up switching sides as this seemed to make her vomit, not just a little spit up but her entire stomach contents. I actually only ever changed breasts in one feed a handful of times as my breasts never really felt empty and she seems satisfied after one anyway.

When I start a feed I usually have to squash my nipple between my fingers to help her latch on as my breast is so full that the nipple is hard and she can't get a grip. They never really feel empty, and quite often ache. About three times a day they suddenly get a tingly pain going through them both at the same time - not sure if everyone gets this or not?

Does anyone know how I can tell if it's reflux or oversupply? I just want my baby to be happy again

Default Re: Reflux? Oversupply?

When I start a feed I usually have to squash my nipple between my fingers to help her latch on as my breast is so full that the nipple is hard and she can't get a grip. They never really feel empty, and quite often ache. About three times a day they suddenly get a tingly pain going through them both at the same time - not sure if everyone gets this or not?

Not to add to your concerns, but do you have any nipple pain? I was getting that tingly pain through both of my breasts a few times a day (usually about 2 hours after a feeding) and it turned out to be thrush. And thrush could make your LO very fussy at the breast (on top of the normal fussiness from reflux).
    Just a thought... hopefully a more experienced Mom can give more suggestions and offer more answers...

I wonder if reflux is present at birth or develops after a few days or weeks. It is questionable that your LO has reflux if she was happily nursing in laying down position, wouldn't that be the worst thing for reflux?
    Lisa

Mommy to
    Logan 5-23-07
    Colby 12-14-09

Quote Originally Posted by Becki View Post
    Not to add to your concerns, but do you have any nipple pain?
    Yes I do, just for the last 4 or 5 days - I was putting it down to her pulling off and stretching the nipple, but I wonder if you could be right? Especially after the antibiotics.

Think I will head down to the doctor in the morning to get checked out.

My 8 WO LO has reflux, and I have OS/OAL, and we fight the same battles that you are describing and have since day 1. It has gotten better (or we have just gotten used to it) as time has progressed. I've never been able to get the hang of nursing lying down, but she seems to have gotten much better at handling the rush of milk that comes at her in the position that we use most often (cradle with her head always above her behind).

You may want to read up on block feeding on this site or kellymom.com. It may help you deal with your OS/OALD. It has helped me. It used to be the LO would fuss at most feedings. After doing 6 hour blocks for almost a month, however, she generally only fusses now at feedings around her "fussy" time of the day.

Have you tried elevating her sleeping place? You said she sleeps in a Moses Basket. Maybe you could outfit it with a foam wedge so that she's always sleeping on an incline. We have elevated the legs on the head end of LO's co-sleeper, and that helps her. We also hold her upright for 30 minutes after each feeding, and that helps too.

You guys have got me worried, though. After reading PP's comment about tinglies, I'm wondering if I might not have thrush. I'm going to have to read up on that.

I hope some of this is helpful. Good luck and hang in there. It will get better soon!!!
    Betsy, Mom to Maggie, born naturally 4/29/07.

Yes I do, just for the last 4 or 5 days - I was putting it down to her pulling off and stretching the nipple, but I wonder if you could be right? Especially after the antibiotics.

I was on antibiotics for an ear infection right before my LO was born. That was how we ended up with thrush. My LO also was pulling on and off the breast (they say that it is painful for them to nurse with thrush. And my LC said that the yeast can cause a lot of gas for LO, which my DD also had). But for me it was those shooting pains- not really painful, but strange feeling. I, too, thought maybe it was a normal part of bf'ing.

Thanks everyone - especially Becki! Just got back from the doctor who confirmed we do both have thrush, so have got gel for my nipples and drops for her.

Hopefully that might stop a bit of the fussing, and we can work on the reflux and/or oversupply next.

We'll get there in the end!