Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: I need support to continue bf

Default I need support to continue bf

PLEASE HELP i honestly need some good support to continue breastfeeding my four month old. Lately he hasnt been nursing much. Or when he does nurse very often (every hour) it is non nutritive sucking and fall asleep within seconds. I am afraid tht i dont have enough supply. Occassionally i do give him two tbsp of cooked apple but i do this maybe once or twice a week. My husband tells me to stop bf since i am getting extremely tired with the baby always in my arms 'sucking'. Deep down in my heart i would like to continue nursing at least until he is 6 months, on the other hand i dont know if he is getting enough even though his nappies are wet though not soaked!

Thanks in advance
    Mom to Wayne since 02.24.2007
    AND
    Keeran 07.19.2010

My kids are my life!

You don't choose your family. They are God's gift to you, as you are to them - Desmond Tutu

Default Re: I need support to continue bf

You should continue, even if it doesn't seem productive right now. You mentioned in another post that your pedi said 4 months was long enough. I disagree. Is there a way you can find a lactation consultant nearby? Mine was incredible...

Best of luck

You can do it!

Is he still gaining and growing well? Does he act like he's hungry, or does he seem satisfied? If so, it might just be that he's getting a little older and doesn't need to nurse quite as often. How often is he nursing?

Can you try helping your LO stay awake to nurse longer? (Tickle his neck or feet, gently jiggle his arm, sit him up and pat him, walk your fingers over his spine, strip him down to the diaper....)

If he's nursing frequently and you're wearing out, you could try wearing your baby in a sling or wrap. You can put him in a nursing position so he can go to town and you will be able to go about your day with free hand(s).

Do you go to LLL meetings or have a LC? You would find lots of support there and would have some help/advice if you're not sure your supply is up enough.

Hang in there. You're doing great!
    I love my kids. I care for them accordingly. What more can I say?

One thing I had to do in my house to get through the 4 month mark was to tell my husband to think of "formula" as the F-word and to not say it. It was a trying time for me too, and while he ate well, he ate often. Now we are working on paying attention to eating and not everything else around
    Danielle

Mom to Gage 12/28/06

Wife to Trinity 6/21/03 my best friend

ed for year, finally done!!!!
    for more than a year now!

I agree with the previous post about trying to keep your lo awake to nurse. Maybe if he is just comfort sucking, introduce a pacifier to save your sanity. Some people are opposed to these, but my lo loves her pacifier and has used it since she was in the hospital. She is now 7 months and nurses great. With nursing you will have your highs and lows. I am sure your husband is just trying to look out for you. I had to tell my husband that nursing was hard but it was something that I was committed to. However, I also needed someone to complain to and get support from (and that was him)! So, when I complain about it now he just encourages me because that is what I told him I wanted him to do. This is what helps us get through the low points!

My 3.5-month old is doing the same thing. So is a friend of mine's baby, who is also 3.5 months. I wonder if it's the age. My son just seems so uninterested in nursing, like everything else is more interesting. If I get him in a dark room, he's usuall OK though.

I feel your frustration! My baby's only 8 weeks old and I'm still struggling daily with the breastfeeding and at times I feel like I'm about to throw in the towel. My baby nurses well and has lots of wet and poopie diapers but I still have to do so much work to get her to latch on well. And then she often pulls off when my milk lets down because it lets down so fast she starts to choke. I've also had mastitis three times due to oversupply (leading to engorgement) and cracked nipples. So I'm spending a lot of time working to prevent another infection. The last few days I've been struggling with the latch again and my nipples are sore. Basically, I feel like my entire life is focused on breastfeeding right now, and sometimes it seems like too much to handle!

I keep hoping one of these days I'll be one of those moms who latches her baby on almost effortlessly and is so happy breastfeeding. In the meantime, I find that when I get really frustrated if I just take a break for even 10 minutes, take some deep breaths and tell myself I can do it, I feel much better.

Just know you're not alone...there are lots of us out there who are frustrated with breastfeeding.

You say he has wet diapers, which is a good sign that he is in fact taking in breastmilk.
    How is is weight gain?
    It would be hard to keep bfing in your situation, where is seems like you don't have much of an in-person support network (DH, pedi ).
    Your breasts will feel empty when your baby is nursing frequently. That does not mean you are not producing milk, but that your baby is emptying your breasts efficiently. Empty breast stimulate more milk production, so that is a good thing.

Molly

Loving mama to JP (DS, 1/03 ~ nursed 6 mos), EL (DD1, 9/05 ~ nursed 4 yrs), EJ (DD2, 3/08 ~ nursed 3 yrs 9 mos), and
    JM (DD3, 6/12 ~ currently nursing), all born naturally
    Devoted wife to SAHD P, my hero
    A few of my favorite things that I've discovered on the forum: co-sleeping, baby-wearing, tandem nursing, baby-led solids, cloth diapering, APing, selective vaccination...the list goes on

TM is offline Shares Widely And Frequently

Thank you posting this, I'm actually going through the same thing today. She is so disinterested in nursing I have to practically stand on my head to get her to latch. I now have to sing the ABC's Twice, and then pretend I'm asaleep. Anyone else have to do these crazy things to get the LO to latch. My Husband Laughs. We always nurse down and this morning she refused to nurse at all. After trying for 3 hours I finally put her in the swing and she's fast asleep. I really do think it might be the age. Hang in there.

You can do it Mama!

It is tough sometimes, but remind yourself that you are giving your baby the most precious gift that you can, the way nature intended it. Then remind yourself that this won't last forever.
    Benjamin 07/13/06
    Brooklynne 07/14/09