Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: I am confused.....

Default I am confused.....

OK, I am not sure this is the right place to post this.... but I figured you all might have some good experience to share.

My LO is 9-month (today !!). She still nurses when I am with her 6-7 times a day, and take EBM bottles at day care. She eats ~3 meals of solids per day (morning, lunch, 4 pm).

I have enjoying the nursing experience a lot, much less the pumping (at work). I hope I can nurse her way pass the one-year benchmarch, while maybe decreasing a little on the pumping...

Question: How much milk does a kid >1 year old needs? I understand the most BM the better until 1 year old, I understand some recommend until 2 years old. But what is a reasonable amount of milk after one year....? Not sure I am making myself very clear here, sorry !

Default Re: I am confused.....

I know you may be looking for an exact answer, but I have to say there really isn't one! I was able to slowly "pump wean" and continue bfing in the mornings and evenings, and on on demand on weekends, within a couple of months after my DD turned one.
    I think it continues to hold true after one year that "the more bm the better." As a general rule, intake of solid nutritious foods should also increase, and that may naturally result in less bfing.

Molly

Loving mama to JP (DS, 1/03 ~ nursed 6 mos), EL (DD1, 9/05 ~ nursed 4 yrs), EJ (DD2, 3/08 ~ nursed 3 yrs 9 mos), and
    JM (DD3, 6/12 ~ currently nursing), all born naturally
    Devoted wife to SAHD P, my hero
    A few of my favorite things that I've discovered on the forum: co-sleeping, baby-wearing, tandem nursing, baby-led solids, cloth diapering, APing, selective vaccination...the list goes on

I agree with Molly...there really isn't an exact answer.

I can say for certain, that your lo isn't getting too much breasmilk though!

I can also say, that if your lo is taking in alot of solids, that if you don't want to pump anymore now that lo is over 1 year old, that you can probably do that IF YOU WANT...you don't have to.

As far as how long to breastfeed for, the best answer I have is that you should breastfeed as long as you and baby are both comfortable with breastfeeding. There are lots of benefits to breastfeed to age 2 like you've already heard, but if you AND baby aren't comfortable with that, its ok to stop earlier than that. Likewise, if you and baby are comfortable nursing PAST age 2, that's ok too, because the benefits DO continue, and there are benefits past age 2 as well. Breastmilk never ever turns to "water" or loses all nutritive or immunological benefits.

As far as how much breastmilk, by bottles or nursing sessions, there is really no real answer to that either...try to follow babies cues, and make sure that baby has a good nutritional well balanced diet of solids too. After age 1, it is important to really work towards having baby eat enough solids and a wide enough variety of solids for perfect nutrition, but its really nice to have bm to fall back on, because we all know how difficult it is to get a todder to eat a well balanced meal EVERY day, LOL. And like Molly said, the more solids baby takes in usually results in a lessening of nursing, but some babies nurse pretty frequently after age one even so.

Sorry that's not anymore exact...but I hope it helps anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by Mommie of 2 View Post
    I can also say, that if your lo is taking in alot of solids, that if you don't want to pump anymore now that lo is over 1 year old, that you can probably do that IF YOU WANT...you don't have to.

Breastmilk never ever turns to "water" or loses all nutritive or immunological benefits.

After age 1, it is important to really work towards having baby eat enough solids and a wide enough variety of solids for perfect nutrition, but its really nice to have bm to fall back on, because we all know how difficult it is to get a todder to eat a well balanced meal EVERY day, LOL.
    with all of it, especially these parts. BFing is my nutritional insurance policy for my DD.

Molly

Loving mama to JP (DS, 1/03 ~ nursed 6 mos), EL (DD1, 9/05 ~ nursed 4 yrs), EJ (DD2, 3/08 ~ nursed 3 yrs 9 mos), and
    JM (DD3, 6/12 ~ currently nursing), all born naturally
    Devoted wife to SAHD P, my hero
    A few of my favorite things that I've discovered on the forum: co-sleeping, baby-wearing, tandem nursing, baby-led solids, cloth diapering, APing, selective vaccination...the list goes on

Wink Re: I am confused.....

I knew there will not "precise" answer , but yes, your answers are helpful. LO is still only 9 month, so I do plan to continue BFing her as much as possible until a year.... Will see in the fall....