Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: HELP! Recurring clogged milk ducts...

Default HELP! Recurring clogged milk ducts...

What am I doing wrong? I've had about one clogged milk duct a week for the past 5 weeks. My baby is 2 1/2 mos old, so this hasn't been happening since DS was born. I don't wear a constrictive bra, I've been taking Lethicin (sp?), and I think DS nurses well. I do have an abundant supply, but I've pumped after DS is done eating and my breasts are pretty much empty. I've read as much as I can on the subject and can't figure it out. I have a call into my lactation consultant, but this really makes me want to quit BF'ing. Especially if the reason is because my DS sleeps 5 to 7 hrs at night. I don't want to have to get up every 2 hrs and pump while DS sleeps - I'm finally feeling human again getting more sleep!

Default Re: HELP! Recurring clogged milk ducts...

welcome to the board!
    kelly moms has some good info on her web site
    http://www.kellymom.com/bf/concerns/...-mastitis.html

most moms find it does get beter over time!
    ARe you trying to do to much?
    I took any breast pain as a good excuse to take the baby to bed and rest.
    Rest is very important in the treatment.

Hello!!
    I know its been a while but hopefully other women see and read this. I had the exact same problem! by the time my son was 4 months I had had at least 20 cases of clogged milk ducts and mastitis. I had planned to stop nursing bc I too had tried everything experts told me and was extremely frustrated. Until...I spoke with a GREAT midwife that gave me a SIMPLE advice that completely stopped the cm and mastitis. She said that bacteria can grow on your nipples and seep inside the breast and cause the "clogging". She told me to buy an antibacterial soap (like safeguard) and wash my breast 2-3times a day. Did it and like magic I never got another cm or mastitis case again!!! TRY IT.
    Last edited by @llli*kialex; September 23rd, 2010 at 11:39 AM.

I don't think its because she is sleeping at night, that should be fine. Oversupply could be the problem. Are you doing compressions while nursing? Sometimes stress brings these on...rest is very important. I try to take hot showers and nurse afterwards or at least use a hot washcloth.
    Last edited by @llli*decbaby; September 24th, 2010 at 07:39 PM.
    SAHM to my sweet December baby boy.

Angry Re: HELP! Recurring clogged milk ducts...

I feel you! I am right there with you With my 1st daughter it was horrible but we keep it up for 1 1/2 years and now with my 1 month old, I have had 2 clogs already! I get sooooo irritated & question why I deal with this but I know it is all for my baby & I refuse to give up! The hardest part is not being able to hold my baby girl close to me becuase the pain is too intense, it makes me want to cry becuase I get mad if she hits it
    So I am going to try everything (althougth it seems quite hard): tweeking my diet, taking lecithin, resting, antibacterial soap, increasing my water, and anything else anyone suggests. Hang in there! WE CAN DO THIS!!!!!!!!!