Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: after bf my nipple is slanted

Default after bf my nipple is slanted

Does the slanted nipple mean the latch wasn't good??

I find it happen so often no matter how I try to change the way I latch on my 4 week old.

Thanks
    Lauren

Default Re: after bf my nipple is slanted

Yes, it does mean your LO is not latched on deep enough, but also you need to change how your LO is lined up. You'll need to move your LO more in the opposite direction of where the line is. So if it's inside, more his/her head a little more to the outside. Make sense? HTH

Thank you!!
    I'm, going to try that right now- I hope she's hungry!

thats a sign of tounge-tie, are they sore?
    heres a link
    http://www.llli.org/llleaderweb/LV/LVAprMay02p27.html

Thanks for the info-

I don't think it is tongue tie bec. dd can thrust her tongue out pretty far and she is 4 weeks old and pretty chubby and satisfied after feeding. She eats pretty quickly and has a good suck-

I don't know how to latch her on deeper- I have to keep working on that.
    Once in awihle I get the perfect latch- I wish I could do it every time.

Believe it or not- I am not sore at all!! Thank goodness I have that going in my favor

Lauren

Quote Originally Posted by lrosen8750 View Post
    I don't know how to latch her on deeper- I have to keep working on that.
    Once in awihle I get the perfect latch- I wish I could do it every time.
    Encourage her to open her mouth wide. You can demonstrate for her, saying, "Open wide. Ah!" Sometimes they will imitate Mama. For my LO, I put gentle pressure on her chin with my finger, and she opens super wide.

Then, the other important part is that as soon as your LO's mouth is wide open, very quickly get her onto your breast. You need to use a sort of quick motion and pretty much smash her onto the breast. This sounds a little violent, and I don't mean it that way! But you do have to be quick and firm with the movement to make sure the nipple gets far enough back in her mouth while it's wide open.

You can check out videos on BF'ing (I've seen links to good ones online) if you want to see what it looks like.
    I love my kids. I care for them accordingly. What more can I say?

Thanks!
    Just checked out a couple of videos and I'm ready to try again! My dd is going to be for a rude awakening when she gets a mouthfull- I hope she can handle it.

Can you re-train a baby who is used to not such a mouthfull??

Lauren

Oh yeah. It took my DD 10 weeks before she got it!

Yep. Just be consistent. If she latches on wrong, take her right off. Don't let her continue to suck if she's doing it wrong. Even if it means you do it over and over and she gets frustrated, you just need to be steady with her. Take her off when she's wrong and praise her when she's right. And, of course, when she's right she'll be rewarded by a much more satisfying milk flow. She'll eventually figure it out--and bf'ing will feel a lot better for both of you!

(If she gets really mad during the learning process, try soothing her a bit before putting her to the breast again. If she gets too worked up she won't take kindly to the learning process!)

Oh, and remember to break the suction before you take her off. Just slide a finger down your breast and between her jaws to release the suction. If you don't do that and try to take her off ... well, you'll only make that mistake once! Nipples are veeeery stretchy!