Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: refusing to nurse

Default refusing to nurse

hi, im pretty desperate for help right now.
    i was hoping for a long shot that someone might be able to give me a suggestion i havent already tried upside down and sideways.

My daughter is 6 1/2 months old and after a long time of it becoming a growing problem- today she has simply refused to nurse at breast all.

I cannot pump more than 4 oz at a time and at the moment have been delving into my freezer storage of pumped milk to get through the day. I probably have enough for today and into tomorrow morning.

She just doesnt want to nurse. if i persist she screams bloody murder.
    ive tried feeding her sooner and later, every position you could think of- wrapping her up-completely undressing her- even getting in the bath with her to nurse! im completely mystified. she seems to take a bottle just fine.
    until this problem started up i very rarely used a bottle , so its not nipple confusion.
    i dont believe its a nursing strike- it hasnt been sudden, ive tried many different methods that have helped for a bit but the problem continued getting worse despite anything i tried. more and more she fussed and refused to eat.

any help.....please!

Default Re: refusing to nurse

i think we need more details like does she latch on at all, does she cry before you start or after? abut here are a couple of things that have made my lo not want to nurse...

-teething
    -reflux

i've also heard if they have an ear ache they wont want to nurse because that hurts them more

maybe you could try a nipple shield? my lo refused to nurse as a newborn but would latch on with a nipple shield. i know yours is older but you could try it. of couse keep in mind that it is sometimes hard to wean them off it.

I would also suggest that it can be earache so you may want to have that checked. It can also be teething and in that case giving her tylenol 1/2 hour before you try to nurse may make a difference.

sometimes she'll latch on-sometimes not. sometimes she starts crying right away-sometimes after shes only just started. she wont nurse in a sitting up position- she doesnt seem to be teething-aside from nursing never cries or fusses. shows no signs of mouth or any other discomfort.

Quote Originally Posted by desperate View Post
    I would also suggest that it can be earache so you may want to have that checked. It can also be teething and in that case giving her tylenol 1/2 hour before you try to nurse may make a difference.

tried. her ears are fine- tylenol or teething tablets make no difference.

get tons of skin to skin contact- even when not nursing. wear her, with you topless, her in a diaper. bathe with her. don't turn nursing into a battle. you don't want her to associate your breast with screaming. my son is refusing to nurse after i was told he had to stop (which wasn't completely true ) but he will nurse if i wake him up in the middle of sleeping and get him into bed with me... when he is really really really sleepy. it is hard to wake your sleeping baby i know, but i would try it late and night and early morning. is sleeping with your baby and option (my son refuses to sleep with me... i try all the time anyway). if your baby will sleep with you, sleep topless. don't force it just make the breast a good place to be and she should come back... my son does sometimes and he stopped nursing for a full month, and didn't start nursing until he was 6 wks old because of premature birth. oh, i hope she gets back on! i know it is hard. i cry everyday thinking about my son not nursing... and i am so sick of pumping! my milk also went down. i finally after all the herbs got on reglan and tonight i pumped 5oz (up from only 1-2). i really do hope she gets back on. call an LC. they are so helpful and often have lots of websites and links that can help. one more thing, bottles are not the only other way to feed a baby. i would avoid bottles!!! contact and LC and learn other ways to feed your baby until she is back at breast. i really hope she starts nursing again. i know this is a stressful time for you. you are obviously so dedicated... very cool.
    Last edited by lyzzi; June 28th, 2007 at 10:14 PM. Reason: forgot one thing

when my lo was about 4-5 months old he started to refuse to nurse. he would latch on and off and cry and scream and arch his back. it was horrible, i dreaded every nursing session. i took him to the dr and she said maybe it was reflux so we tried prevacid and the problems were gone immediately. is it possible to take her in to see the dr and see what they think might be wrong?

here are some good links for you to read...
    http://www.kellymom.com/bf/concerns/...e-nursing.html

http://www.kellymom.com/bf/concerns/...to-breast.html

i really hope you figure out what is wrong. i know how frustrating it can be...

i just thought of one more thing....
    have you ever noticed what kind of letdown you have? maybe its too slow or too fast and that frustrates her.