Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Anyone make their own baby food?

Default Re: Anyone make their own baby food?

on the subject of baby food grinder, this site has some great supplies

http://www.onestepahead.com/product/...26755/117.html
    some great books too and just tons of other great items

check out this bottle
    http://www.onestepahead.com/product/85207/686/117.html I got it, have yet to use it though
    Melanie
    Proud Army Wife to James
    Loving Mommy to DS Gavin: March 16, 2006 and DSS Cody: Feb 13, 1998
    Banners/Photos/HC

I just use a baby food mill I got from Babies r' us for $10 to mill up whatever I have cooked for myself & ds. It is totally manual but really easy to use. DD has had almost every fruit & veggie and a couple of casseroles too.
    Amanda Mom to James (2/25/04) and nursling Alice (8/24/05)

I use a mini cuisinart that my grandmother gave me ages ago for a birthday or something. It can puree small amounts but I wouldn't go buy it (at $50.00) specifically for that...

I just use a fork most of the time.

I actually have two items - a hand-powered food mill (probably what was described above by a PP) that works great and also a small food processor that was marketed to make baby food (a gift we got). I am willing to pass those on to anyone who wants them for this purpose! I have a small food processor AND a full-size processor and J is not needing purees anymore anyway. If you want to offer to pay shipping, cool. If not, not a big deal! I'm all for encouraging making baby foods!
    Jsmom

Darn i would've frozen the peas again after i made them. I also want to know if it's ok to refreeze after cooking, which i was planning to do anyway.

by the way this is the website i use for some info http://www.wholesomebabyfood.com/

How about avocados? I have heard this is the perfect food to start with and the perfect food due to all its nutrients. I hate the stuff but am willing to offer it to Elias if what they say is true. Any comments?

sorry ladies this is my first time making my own baby food and have lots of questions..lol

ETA: I use a small food processor, does a great job

the thing that's nice about avacodo you don't have to cook it just scrape it off like you would with a bannana.
    yummy.. I like them but never tried to feed them to my babies.
    My dd is almost 3 and she doesn't care for them.
    And my 4 year old never liked them either, it was the only food that he ate and said thats grooooos, took another bite and said it's still groooooos.!
    lol. They are $$$$$ here in OHio most of the year.

Annabelle Karmel wrote a book called "First Meals" and it has some pretty neat ideas in it. I loved it anyway! It is pretty much strictly a cookbook, with plenty of neat ideas to feed the whole family!

I am not a big fan of most of the baby food books out there. A lot of them (okay, every single one I have ever picked up!) speak of weaning, and that it is so important for baby to not nurse or be bottle fed as much after starting solids. Yuck...

nak..ok so i tried a tspn full of avocados and Elias loved it! He opened his mouth so wide..lol..i never liked avocados, only guacamole and only once in a while..glad he loves it. I'll freeze it until he's ready to get full meals of it. shoot can we freeze it? Oh man, i'm so uninformed

that book "First Meals" is available on the site I posted above
    Melanie
    Proud Army Wife to James
    Loving Mommy to DS Gavin: March 16, 2006 and DSS Cody: Feb 13, 1998
    Banners/Photos/HC

Yes you can freeze avocado!

Trader Joes sells is frozen if you have those where you are!

Making you own food is much easier than you think! Once you do it for a bit it gets easier than opening a jar of the yucky stuff!