Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Anyone make their own baby food?

Default Anyone make their own baby food?

I've been having a great time making Elias' baby food. I have made squash, carrots and sweet potatoes so far. I'm only giving him tastes of food now because he's only 5 mos but it's so wonderful to see my baby eating food that is not processed (just like mama milk )

anyone else make their own food? I need advice on making peas

Default Re: Anyone make their own baby food?

I do! I don't know how to make peas though I would be very interested to find out! What about green beans?

We've done yellow and green squash, yams, and pears.

I made my own food! I just cooked some peas, pureed them and froze them in ice cube trays. Is there more to it than that? My son quickly graduated to eating whole peas right off his tray.

The thing is i can't find fresh peas anywhere, guess they're out of season? I was told frozen peas are ok..what do you think?

get a copy of "baby food" by ruth yaron. its a great book for making baby food and it tells when baby can have certain fruits/veggies, how to cook it and when its season!!

I always just used frozen peas.

thanks Rachael, this is something else I was going to post about, when the time comes, I'd like to make my baby's food any other books I should look into?
    Melanie
    Proud Army Wife to James
    Loving Mommy to DS Gavin: March 16, 2006 and DSS Cody: Feb 13, 1998
    Banners/Photos/HC

Melanie
    Proud Army Wife to James
    Loving Mommy to DS Gavin: March 16, 2006 and DSS Cody: Feb 13, 1998
    Banners/Photos/HC

Hi All! Yup; we make 95% of DS's food - always have! The exceptions are when something is out of season and I still want him to have it (like apricots); then we find an organic frozen or reputable jarred kind (we've really only used earth's best jars - apple/apricot has been a favorite!). I TOTALLY agree with the suggestion of Ruth Yaron's book, 'Super Baby Foods'. It's great. Keep in mind that it IS written from a very organic and vegetarian stance - but it's not intolerant of an ominvor diet, however and does have good suggestions, good recipes, and really just wonderful basic information on getting started with transitioning baby to more foods...and how to do this! Yes; GavinsMommy/Melanie, that is the book!

Re: frozen peas (or other frozen stuffs)....just one thing to keep in mind. The common rule of thumb (your mileage may vary on just how much rules are made to be broken, of course) is that once something is frozen, it's not a good idea to thaw it and re-freeze it. So if you are using frozen peas, take out what you think you will use in the next 48 hours and make that for baby. Use it up or toss what is left, i.e., don't puree and re-freeze into ice-cube trays.
    Have fun!
    J'smom
    Last edited by jsmom; April 28th, 2006 at 10:51 AM.

Hmm...I cooked the peas first, does that change it? Later on though I just gave my son frozen peas that were thawed out, looking back I probably should have just pureed thawed peas and not bothered to heat them, but I didn't have a baby food grinder (still don't!) and it was difficult to puree small amounts in my food processor.