Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Will it ever even out

Default Will it ever even out

For the past 2 months I have been trying to get my supply built up in my right breast and its still not. Kayleigh comfort nurses off my right breast and I always offer her that breast first since the supply sucks in that breast and after 2 mins she's ready for the left breast b/c she isn't get anything. The fenugreek isn't helping with the supply in that breast either but it sure is helping with my left breast. I am lucky to get a little dribble out of the right breast. I figured with her constant comfort nursing for a couple of hours would help boost my supply but nope. She nurses so much on my left breast that it is becomming sore and I am having sharp stabbing pains, my left breast needs a break. Not to mention the biting and pulling on and off so much, she will be sucking and pull off OUCH Anyone ever delt with this?
    Also some nights she will miss a couple of feedings and I awaken with my shirt soaked just on my left side, the right side will not be at all. The feungreek is helping with my supply in my left since she missed 2 nursing sessions while my son was recovering from surgery on Monday. Its not doing anything for my right breast.

Default Re: Will it ever even out

Well, I was just at my first LLL meeting and the subject of nursing exclusively on one breast came up. Some babies just prefer it that way. Your dd is probably getting more than you think from your right side. At any rate it's OK if she uses just one side. Your breast (if there is a size diff.) should go back to normal when you stop nursing. From the looks of her pic she's doing fabulous!

About the pulling off...are you spraying milk? It may be that you have an OALD and it's just too fast for her right then. Mine will pull of like that if she needs to burp...she's always needed to burp more often than my others.

As long as your lo is gaining well and has plenty of wet diapers you may not need to worry about your supply. Your breast should naturally make enough as long as she's nursing enough. I know I had to nurse my dd more frequently than I thought, especially for her age.

BTW, how are things now? I remember you were having trouble a bit back being overwhelmed. Were family or friends able to pitch in and help? Is your hubby still a bit jealous? I hope all is well for you!

Default Re: Will it ever even out

I don't spray milk, my letdown isn't that great. She is very distractable and nosey, she also fights sleep. Her wet diapers are good, on Monday she finally pooped after going over a week without pooping. She's gaining just 1oz a week. At 5 months she weighs 10lbs 14oz, she has of yet to double her weight.
    Things got a bit better afterwards, so I decided to keep trying to get it to work out. Hubby isn't as jealous anymore, gets him off the hook of having to rock her to sleep or feed her. The stress of my son just having surery isn't helping my supply right now. Today he refused liquids and his meds all day long, I had to force him to drink and take his medication. So, I am under a bit of stress right now. Trying to keep him from dehydrating, baby him and Kayleigh is a high maintenence baby, so its been a bit stressful these past few days. My family just thinks I need to stop bf.
    I wonder if she's starting to go through a growth spurt? she's nursing a lot more lately. She seems to prefering her crib to co sleeping right now.