Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: latch question (help)... and good news!!

Default latch question (help)... and good news!!

First off thanks for all of the support here-

At our 1 month check-up my dd went from birth weight of 7lbs 12oz to 9lbs 2 oz!! I am so so happy and I can't believe I provided her with this nutrition. How validating and a big boost to keep on going!

Now.. I had been trying to fix the latch- thought things were going well, but it seems to be hit or miss as hard as I try.

Anyway, when I think it's a good latch, dd's gums seem to be scraping against my areolas and they are sooo sore. Is this normal??? She seems to be chewing on me at times. How do I stop this???

Lauren

Default Re: latch question (help)... and good news!!

Congrats on your fat and happy baby!

Im thinking the latch musnt be right if it's hurting. There really shouldn't be any pain for you, it's meant to feel nice!

Try watching some of Dr Newman's videos.
    http://www.thebirthden.com/Newman.html

They are interesting and may give you a clue or two about your own latch. Best to nip bad latching habits in the bud, before you get ouchy nipples!
    Good luck...
    Karli, Besotted mother of Ashley,8lb 9oz - 9th May 2007 and Fae 8lb 11oz 17th Feb 2010, both born at home, naturally.

Nappy-free @ 18 months EC'ing rocks!
    Just leave it alone.

Do you have a strong letdown? Sometimes a baby will clamp/chomp to deal with a fast flow of milk. Is there any chance your baby has tongue tie? That can also impact the ability to suck. (Although latch is the first thing to check out with pain, sometimes there are other contributing factors.)

Thanks!

We definately don't have tongue tie. I think when dd is done she just hangs out and chews. It's really annoying!

I was sent to a great site that has an amazing video of latching - I think it's the Stanford medical Center.

It's great!! I'll keep trying- sooner or later we'll get it!

Lauren