Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Which helps increase supply more?

Default Which helps increase supply more?

Hi,

Just wondering whether pumping after a feed OR pumping in lieu of scheduled feed will have any or greater impact on milk supply (i.e. increase/decrese)?

The other day I pumped 7oz but then felt empty for the rest of the day!

Also, if my DD is feeding less often but I want to keep up my supply for when I go back to work, should I pump in between feeds? Will this not diminish the amount of milk available to her for her next scheduled feed?

Any help would be most appreciated!

Default Re: Which helps increase supply more?

Is there a reason that you're pumping? How old is your baby?

Hi,

I am pumping because I will be returning to work in about 1.5 months and would like my DD to get used to drinking from a bottle, spoon or cup (she currently detests the bottle, which is putting it mildly!). I would rather not pump but the chances of me running home during the day are pretty slim.

Anthea (my ) is 14 weeks old.

Pump after a feed... Your body will get the signal that it needs to produce more milk each time. Pumps don't take out as much as baby does...so go ahead and keep the scheduled feeds.

But to build my frozen milk stash, I added a pumping session in the middle of the night. And pumping in the morning works well, too. Let us know if you have any other ?s... I had to go back to work at the beginning of the year, so I've been through it, too.
    for 1-1/2 years...and still going!

Thanks, I'll definitely do that (pumping after each feed).

I've been getting about 2oz post feed (I only started a few days ago). I was only pumping post-morning feeds because I was worried about reducing supply for subsequent feeds.

Have you found the amount of milk you pump post-feed stays consistent during the day (e.g. 2oz consistently), even though we are supposed to have more supply in the morning, or does the amount decrease?

Two more questions - how old is your bub, and for your middle of the night feed, what time do you wake up to pump?

Thank you for your help!

Quote Originally Posted by becinsf View Post
    Have you found the amount of milk you pump post-feed stays consistent during the day (e.g. 2oz consistently), even though we are supposed to have more supply in the morning, or does the amount decrease?

Two more questions - how old is your bub, and for your middle of the night feed, what time do you wake up to pump?

Thank you for your help!

You're welcome!

I don't pump much after bf any more... But when I did, my supply seemed to get lower as the day progressed. My baby's almost 8 mo now--but acting like a toddler already! Earlier this evening she crawled up on my lap to nurse... First time ever. Makes me wish I hadn't been so worried about her "getting enough" in the early days. I should've just trusted my body. But I'm getting off-topic.

I co-sleep b/c I couldn't handle waking up every few hours to feed her in the middle of the night. I teach, and it was just too hard... So my baby will feed all night w/ free access to sidelying boob. When I wake up after a few hours, I switch her to the other side and go back to sleep. Works well for us!

I usually go to bed b/w 7:30 & 8:30, and pump b/w 1 & 2 a.m. (It stinks, but I got used to it. I tend to catch up on email and this forum during it.) People say the milk-producing hormones that relax your body are highest b/w 1 & 5 a.m. Most of the time I can get at least 5-6 oz. But there have been some nights when I get 7-9 oz. Depends on whether the baby just ate. I also pump 2x during the day at school--and b/w the 3 sessions usually made enough for the next day.

Sorry so long... HTH!

BTW, are you pumping just to increase supply, or to feed your baby while at work, or to build supply?
    for 1-1/2 years...and still going!