Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Do you find it creepy when they talk about it?

Default Re: Do you find it creepy when they talk about it?

My sixteen month old has started saying "open this" about everything, including my shirt. And the other day when I gave him his "nursey" he said "I want it. It cracked me up!

It does not phase me in the least becaus eto me it simply is not sexualized. Though I am aware of people around me who may see it differently. But teh bond I share with my son through nursing is an incredibly private one and other peoples opinions do not matter to me. Just as if someone had an opinion on how I kissed my husband or how we decorated our home. These are things in MY life and if I am okay with them then that is what matters.
    Oh, and my three yr odl has brought dolls for me to nurse begfore. He also has tried to nurse them himslef. He doe snot nurse anymore but still loves his mama milk in a cup (age three) but he knows teh bond of it and sees how nurturing it has been for his baby brother. He simply associates it with love and comfort as do I.

Quote Originally Posted by quakerm0mma

But this stuff never squicked me out, because it was always clear to me that he was not being sexual -- he was being child-like. In this sense, perhaps the media images that impact our thinking about breasts are operating on a very childish logic -- Look! Breasts! Breasts good. Buy this, get more breasts." Our babies don't understand that breasts are used to sell beer, or to measure a woman's market value or a man's social status. They just know that momma's breasts make them feel good, safe, and happy.

I But please don't worry for yourself that your nursing relationship somehow crosses a line into something unwholesome.

--Rebecca
    May I just say Rebecca you are right on the money! I recently read what you had to say on a post where a husband was trying to convince a mother of all the reasons she needed to wean at 20 months. There just like here you lay things in out in the absolute simplest of terms both speaking directly to my soul as a mother and at the same time making me go "Oh yeah DUH why couldn't I see it before"? I hope you've done that here both for the mother with the initial concerns and other Mommies like me who are nowhere near toddler nursing yet but with you and the other mothers here who are clear about listening to our instincts will hopefully be able to make the transition with grace and strengh. I have to admit right when you were talking about your 4 year old stroking your breast for comfort I did get a little wierded out. Right until you reminded me that there's nothing sexual about it. Just all love all the time. Oh to be a victim of western society! I am wondering more and more about the poisonous box in the living room. No good can come of letting him watch it! Thank you again!
    Shelly

DD's new thing is to, and I hope no one thinks this is strange. Is to love them to sleep. She does this by rubbing her eyes on them, uaually on the nippy, as she calls them. I first I thought it was so strange and it freaked me out a little, until I saw my sisters daughter do this with her pacifier, my boobies are her comfort.

I am actually using tandem nursing to help my 2 1/2 year old learn how to take turns and to ask politely for something he wants. I think it can be used as a way to help develop language skills for them to talk about something they love.

He says "mommy, may I nurse please?" when he wants to nurse. If I am nursing his little brother (8 months old), and I say "It is [ds2]'s turn." DS1 will say "after [ds2], then [ds1]'s turn, right?"

He has extrapolated from this to ask for cow's milk, cookies, to watch a DVD, etc. And once he wanted to watch a tv show and i said "no, it is mommy's show we are watching." he replied "After mommy's turn, [ds1] turn TV?"

I was stunned.

We also don't nurse in public (I nurse the 8 month old in public) but if he asks, I say "are we at home? No? You and I nurse at home."

I also don't let him stroke my breast or nipples because it irritates me (they are very sensitive), but he does hold my hand, stroke my arm or neck. I do love the affection. We also co-sleep and having a little hand reach out to hold mine in the middle of the night is absolutely priceless and very moving.

Nursing is very sensual for me. Not sexual at all. But very very deeply sensual connection with my children. I think many westerners automatically assume that if something is sensual it is suspect or taboo or sexual in some way. It is sad since I think it is a very deep, non-verbal connection to the people you love.

Siobhan

Smile Re: Do you find it creepy when they talk about it?

My son is 3 1/2 and loved to nurse. He called them "num nums" I have been trying to wean him and I could not even sit down without him racing over to nurse, and he looks like a 5 year old.

One day I put bandaids on my "num nums" to see if it would slow him down a bit and he just said "num nums got a boo boo" gave them a kiss and said "gonna go to the store and get nother one" because in our house when things are broken or have a "boo boo" we replace it with a new one.

He was so sad when he seen the bandaids, I removed them and all I have to say now is that they hurt and he gives them a kiss, "my little guy" say's I make them feel better.

He is now weaned two weeks, I hate to say it but I do miss it at times, he will no longer take a nap during the day, and at nite time we just cuddle till we fall asleep!

Marline, congratulations on what sounds like a very gentle and loving weaning. I'm not surprised to hear that you miss it after two weeks. I was SO ready for my son to wean, but I still had a big adjustment to make when it finally happened. It's great that he can be so loving with your breasts and that you are both having some cuddle time at night; that goes a long ways towards a happy adjustment, I think.

--Rebecca

my son calls my boobs "b's". it is the cutest thing. i love that he can vocalize now. just two days again he asked to "nurse". i was amazed. he will point to his bed or our designated nursing chair. when i am unbuttoning my blouse he can hardly wait. then he cried out "b's!" sometime he will linger right above the nipple as if he is talking to it telepathically. he is very happy and staring then he muckles it. all this is heart melting. i cherish it.

My DD is only a year old and I can see the joy in her face every time I ask her if she wants boobie. I undo my bra and she will smile, giggle, sometimes reach out and touch it and play with the nipple (she doesen't understand that pinching hurts yet....) and then face first into it and latched on. I so love it. People don't comment about her nursing, even through she is a year old she is small and a lot of people think she is 7-8 months old and most are shocked when I tell them her real age. I had a person tell me today that it was time to wean since she was a year and I just said No. My nephew that is 2 1/2 years old will go up to my sister (his mom) and ask for his turn, she also has a 1 year old that is still nursing, it is too cute. He's asked me for a turn also, but I had to decline, I am scared of a full mouth of teeth!!! I think it is so great when I see a mom extended nursing a baby and wish I could see it more in public. I just love seeing a mom nurse just like I love nursing my daughter. If I take boobie away too soon, when she is done nursing but not done comfort wise, she is very vocal about it and totally breaks down.

Post #3 breaks it all down. This is the thread where I decided I was gonna do it. Nurse past a year. Do you see me back there? All with my teeny tiny DJ??? I hope you find some inspiration too!! Sometimes all it takes is someone father along in the journey to speak directly to your soul. If you don't know about Ms. Rebecca, she is really something remarkable.

Way too lazy for formula