Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: SNS to build Supply?

Default SNS to build Supply?

Have any of you gals used the SNS with success for building up a low milk supply? I have been using it and it seems that my littles one are hooked on it and can't get off. My supply seems to have actually dropped from it. I am trying to pump to get my supply up and to hopefully get off of the SNS along with taking fenugreek and blessed thistle. I am considering taking domperidone but am not sure if I want to do that part. Any stories would help here. Thanks so much!

Default Re: SNS to build Supply?

I used an SNS because DS would not nurse at the breast for the first 2 weeks, so in order to help him get onto the breast, I would pump, then use the SNS to drip milk down to a nipple shield on my breast. I don't see how the SNS would help you build supply. How does that work? I think having DB nurse would be the most efficient way to build supply.

Quote Originally Posted by Anne Marie
    Have any of you gals used the SNS with success for building up a low milk supply? I have been using it and it seems that my littles one are hooked on it and can't get off. My supply seems to have actually dropped from it. I am trying to pump to get my supply up and to hopefully get off of the SNS along with taking fenugreek and blessed thistle. I am considering taking domperidone but am not sure if I want to do that part. Any stories would help here. Thanks so much!
    Hi Anne Marie,
    An SNS would not work to improve supply if the baby is not nursing effectively. It would help to get the baby to the breast by teaching him where the milk comes from. But mothers who use this device must pump inbetween feeds to maintain supply.

The number one way to increase supply is to remove more milk, by BF or pumping! If a baby is not removing the milk, supply will go down. Babies can use the SNS at the breast and just not nurse effectively, but still get the milk through the tube. So if you were using this because you bbs were not nursing well, you should be pumping also.

HTH!

I used it for 24 hours when my DD was 3 days old. She was hungry and my milk hadn't come in yet. For us it served 2 purposes - it gave her the food she needed (unfortunately, in the form of formula), and it got her doing more long, "nutritive sucking" to encourage my milk to come in. Once it came in I stopped using it. The LC that gave it to me said to keep my finger on the clamp to stop the flow of formula periodically so she'd keep doing the long sucks for more time to get my milk to come in.

Your situation sounds different than mine. I hope your able to resolve this problem soon!

Jennifer