Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: vitamins

Default vitamins

Are you suppose to still take your prenatal vitamins while breast feeding? My son is 9 weeks and I stopped taking them when I had him but a friend today told me that if I was breast feeding I should still be taking them. No one had told me that before. Should I take them agian or is any type of vitamin ok?

Thanks,
    Jenn

Default Re: vitamins

it is recommended to continue taking your prenatal vitamins because you need the extra vitamins plus your passing it on to your LO. you can take multi-vitamins in place of prenatal if you want, but i think prenatal is better because it has the right vitamins you and your baby needs.

Gabe and Jacob's Nanay

Gabe born on September 07, 2004

Jacob born on May 29, 2007

Smile Re: vitamins

It is recommended that you take prenatal vitamins the entire time you nurse. (note it will irritate some babies, esp reflux babies--if you notice them bothering baby's tummy ask your doc about a low-iron vitamin)

You body will pull from your own stores to make healthy breast milk no matter how malnourished YOU are. But feeding and caring for a little one is hard work so you need to replenish your vitamins for your own sake

Don't worry--your breast milk is just as good for baby weather you eat all natural healthy organic diet or if you eat one junk food meal per day. It's mom who suffers from a bad, unhealthy diet. . .

Pazygozo is offline Shares Widely And Frequently

Ever since my first doctor's visit to verify my first pregnancy, the doctor has said to take prenatals basically 1) when you think you want to have a baby, 2) when you are pregnant, and 3) the entire time you are breastfeeding. So my first prenatal prescription actually just ran out of refills this month!

Sometimes it has been a week between when I run out and when I get it refilled, and let me tell you, I can sure feel a difference!

Congrats on your new little one and best wishes!

Many doctors say that a "prenatal vitamin" is the best vitamin for all women. It has everything in it that a woman needs.

I just refilled mine too, She turned 2 on Wednesday and I feel a difference when I skip it.

My ped recommened I continue prenatals while nursing and also suggested I take Expectra Lipil by Enfamil.