Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: tylenol pm

Question tylenol pm

i have been having trouble sleeping, is tylenol pm (diphenhydramine/benadryl) safe to take once in a while?
    I am exclusively bf-ing a 3 month old, on demand and have not had any supply issues or breastfeeding issues so far.

Default Re: tylenol pm

I would think it would be okay. I would not recommend co-sleeping while taking it. Also, if your child wakes regularly at night it might be difficult for you to do nighttime parenting.

I know that it is hard to get a good night sleep with a new baby (yours is still very new!) but it will start to happen before you know it! If you are having any sort of pp anxiety or depression that should be addressed before taking any sleeping medication.

Could you have someone take care of baby and maybe give a bottle of EBM while you get some rest? I am just fearful if you take it that you won't be able to take care of your baby.

Good sleep is coming!

Good luck!

Sarah

Default Re: tylenol pm

I would check with the doctor first, before taking any over the counter sleeping aid. There might be some underlying causes for your sleeping problems that might require treatment.

I also had problems sleeping after giving birth. As my baby was finally asleep I would just lie there, getting frustrated with every passing minute, knowing that she'll wake up soon and I couldn't get any rest. Turned out this insomnia was due to post partum thyroid disorder. I never had problems with my thyroid before giving birh. I've been taking rx to level thyroid hormones for 3 mos, and now I sleep like my baby