Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Mastitis (Kind of Long)

Unhappy Mastitis (Kind of Long)

I have been on antibiotics for Mastitis for 9 days now. There has been some improvment, but not very much. I am still running fevers of around 100.3 in the afternoons, and I feel like I have the flu. I think it all started with a plugged duct, and I have been putting warm compresses and milking down towards the nipple when I pump. For the last few days, I have been able to expel some yellowish thick stuff from that nipple. I do not give that milk to the baby, I will ask my doctor about this tomorrow. I began taking Lecithin to help with this a few days ago. My baby has refused that breast since the mastitis began. He would try to latch, then make a face and come off. I have also been dealing with supply issues and have had to supplement with formula. Right now I can pump about 1.5 oz from my good breast and 1/8 ounce from the bad one. I can't wait until the mastitis clears up because I may be able to increase my supply enough to satisfy him without so much formula. He takes about 3 oz total right now per feeding. I have started on fenugreek to increase the supply as well. I just need to vent, and tell someone who might understand what I'm going through. I want so much to breastfeed my baby. If you have any advice please reply.

Default Re: Mastitis (Kind of Long)

The yellowish stuff is probably what was clogging the duct (just milk from what I've read, not harmful to your LO) Now that that's out of there, hopefully things will start clearing up for you. Hope you feel better soon!

I'm sorry I don't have any advice (don't have any experience or "book knowledge" about this), but I will say hang in there! My challenges were/have been other things, but I still understand the frustration. When you're right in the thick of it, it seems like it'll never get better, but it will. If you're pumping regularly, you will definitely keep your supply up, and remember that pumps aren't usually as efficient as baby at drawing the milk out, so you might have a better supply than you realize.

Are you getting lots and lots of rest? I've heard that's one of the best things, besides nursing, that you can do for mastitis. Gather up everything you need for a day in bed--books, water, snacks, toys, diapers and wipes, baby (of course), and so on--and take advantage of the chance to stay off your feet. I did this once when I was feeling under the weather, and even though it turned out to just be allergies, it still did both me and baby a world of good to have a day of pure rest. So put your feet up and enjoy your baby. And if you're already doing this, then do it some more!

Hope you feel better soon.
    I love my kids. I care for them accordingly. What more can I say?

I am also having the same problem... I had mastitis in my left breast like 2 weeks ago and then this past week in the other breast I have another lump. they were able to remove a little fluid from the mass ( like curdled milk- tmi!!) but the lump is still there a little and now I have a red spot where the lump is. I am also having some problems nursing with the slow down of milk. I pumped about the same amount.... after nursing my son. How did you know that you needed to supplement with formula? How long have you been nursing? I know how frustrating it is because you work sooooo hard to get to this point and this happens.

Here's a link with lots of good information. http://www.kellymom.com/bf/concerns/mom/mastitis.html I would definitely talk to your dr about changing your antibiotic b/c it doesn't sound like the one you are on is working. If you can coax your baby back to the breast it will be the best thing to get the duct unclogged.

At my baby's 2 week check up he had only gained 2 oz. His doctor recommended that I let him nurse as long as he would, and then feed him formula afterwards... as much as he would take. We are still doing that now, but only working with one breast I think makes matters worse.

Wow, I'm sorry you're going through all of this. But hang in there! You sound very determined to continue BF and that's the attitude what you need to keep.

If you're on day 9 of your antibiotics, and you're still having a tempature, then you need to go back to the doctor! I've read where the first round of antibiotics doesn't clear up mastitis. The doctor who prescribed it to me told me they sometimes have to prescribe them for longer too. While it sounds like you may have gotten the infection out, I'd still call your doctor just to be safe.

I agree with the other posters who said to rest too. When I had mastitis, I thought I was all better after 2 days so I started doing stuff. Then, it hit me again the next day like a brick. You really need to take a whole day and just rest. Just take your LO and go to bed!