Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: ?'s re: feeding schedule, engorgement

Default ?'s re: feeding schedule, engorgement

Hi,

My baby will be a week old tomorrow and I have a few questions re: his feeding schedule and engorgement. BF is going pretty well so far. I've noticed that for the past 2 nights he has wanted to feed constantly for about 2 hours before he goes down to sleep. Last night I overslept my alarms that had me on schedule to feed him every 2 1/2 hours like I do during the day. I didn't wake up until he woke me up b/c he was hungry--which turned out to be twice during the night--every 4 hours. I'm wondering if I should still wake him up every 2 1/2 hours at night even though he is cluster feeding before he goes to bed. Oh, he also fed for a long time when he woke up this morning. Or should I just let wake up on his own when he is hungry? Also, the two times he woke me up last night to eat my breasts were very large. I have a feeling after he was done I could get some out with a pump b/c they were still very big. Should I pump after these feedings or let my milk supply regulate itself?

Thanks for your help.

Default Re: ?'s re: feeding schedule, engorgement

Well, being that he is only a week old, it is very normal to be engorged so often. That will change with time, and once your body gets used to his feedings it will regulate itself. I did have one question: is he eating every 2 hours during the day? How regular are his day feedings? I think if he is eating well during the day, then going 4 hours at night is okay. When my son was a newborn, I was told not to go longer than 4 hours without feeding him, even if he was sleeping. Now if he was a little older, I would say "dont wake him!" But I think if he is doing well during the day, than he should be okay during the night, especially since he is waking you up to eat.
    As far as pumping, I would just pump enough to make yourself comfortable, or you could pump and store your milk if you want a back up supply if thats something you decide to do. But your body will learn to regulate on a supply and demand basis. Congratulations on your new baby!!

I'm Heather, SAHM to Cooper , born 1/2007
    and Bennett, our precious NICU grad born 8/2009
    and wife to Bill since 10/2003!
    We're young, but we know we can do it!
    Life with the Stevens-blog

I'm an Ergo Baby Carrier affiliate!

Generally the rule of thumb about waking them up is that once you've regained your LOs original birthweight, it's okay to start letting them take the lead. If you're at that point, enjoy the extra rest!

http://www.kellymom.com/bf/start/bas...nger-cues.html

Hi there!

What was your baby's lowest weight and what is his weight now? The cluster feeding at bedtime is VERY typical and nothing to be concerned about. You might also find that he'll go through a growth spurt very soon and want to nurse much more frequently.

It's best to let your baby eat on demand day and night! This will help your body regulate to his needs. Putting baby on a "feeding schedule" can sometimes cause your milk supply to lessen. http://www.lalecheleague.com/FAQ/schedule.html

This article can help you determine if your baby is getting enough to eat:
    http://www.lalecheleague.com/FAQ/enough.html

As long as he's showing all the signs of getting enough (as outlined in the article) you can let him wake YOU up at night when he's ready to eat. There's no need to pump after feedings, even if you feel like you have some milk left. This again will help your body regulate to his needs.

Are you planning to go back to work?

Jen
    "Mothers are designed to be available to their babies--to help them make the transition into this big, wide world. To teach them to trust, and love, and feel good about being alive."
    --Elizabeth N. Baldwin, Esq., So I Nursed Him Every 45 Minutes

Click here to find your local LLL Group
    How to tell if your breastfed baby is getting enough milk!

Congaratulations on your sweet liitle one. Just to say that I know how you feel. My Ashley is six weeks now (it's gone so fast!). The first few weeks I was chained to my arm chair for HOURS every evening, like from 5pm 'til 9pm! I tried to move around at first but in the end just accepted that for these hours I was simply going to be a milk dispensing machine.
    And personally if anyone had told me to wake up every 2 1/2 hours at night I would not have been very nice to them!
    And Im sure that yout milk supply will settle and your breasts become less engorged if you feed on demand and let your body work out how much it needs to produce.
    The thing is that they change so fast and now I look back on those first few weeks and think how lovely it was to be able to snuggle up on that chair and watch his little face as he fed (for hours!) I say hide the clocks, let your baby be the master of your schedule and you'll both be happy and satsfied!
    Karli, Besotted mother of Ashley,8lb 9oz - 9th May 2007 and Fae 8lb 11oz 17th Feb 2010, both born at home, naturally.

Nappy-free @ 18 months EC'ing rocks!
    Just leave it alone.

Thanks to everyone for your great responses. I took him to my local Breastfeeding support center on Monday and he weiged 8 lbs. 6 oz. This was up from 7 lbs. 5 oz. the previous Friday! His birth weight was 7 lbs. 13 oz. The lactation consultants at the center seemed to mirror your responses. They said that now that he is gaining weight it is OK to let him go at night. I've been doing that for the past two nights and my breasts are adjusting--I'm not nearly as engorged as I was that first night.

I am planning on going back to work part-time in a couple months so I will probably start building a supply once we have established our routine. Or should I go ahead and start building up my freezer supply now? I know that when I go back to work I'll just pump while I'm there an that can be his milk for the next day I'm at work and so on, but how do I go about starting my initial freezer supply. I'm thinking it will be best until my body has regulated my supply so I don't get too engorged. What do you think? This is all new to me!

Thanks,

Phoebe

Here are some articles for you on working and breastfeeding:

http://www.lalecheleague.com/FAQ/returnwork.html
    http://www.lalecheleague.com/FAQ/pump.html
    http://www.lalecheleague.com/FAQ/pumpfreq.html

We also have a forum for working mothers, and I'm sure you'll get lots of good advice there!
    Hugs
    Jen
    "Mothers are designed to be available to their babies--to help them make the transition into this big, wide world. To teach them to trust, and love, and feel good about being alive."
    --Elizabeth N. Baldwin, Esq., So I Nursed Him Every 45 Minutes

Click here to find your local LLL Group
    How to tell if your breastfed baby is getting enough milk!