Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: giving baby more BM in bottle than can pump?

Default giving baby more BM in bottle than can pump?

So far, my LO drinks about 5 ounces from his bottle while I'm at work. He'll turn 5 months old next Saturday. Sometimes, he drinks about 4 ounces, other times the whole 5 oz. Luckily, I have pumped 5 ounces per session the last 3 weeks or so.

I realize he may want more from the bottle as he gets older. If I don't pump out the amount he desires from a bottle, will that affect my supply? (say, he wants 6 oz but I only pump 5 oz).

What has your experience been once they start solids? Do they eat the same? more? less?

Default Re: giving baby more BM in bottle than can pump?

Breastfed babies typically don't really increase the amount they take from a bottle, if they can nurse more when they are with you.

Once infants start solids, and are eating more than just a few bites, their milk intake might go down a bit, but rarely goes up at all.
    Shannon
    LLL Leader

Protect your privacy online; don't use your full name. Click My Alias at the top left corner.

I'm horrible at html and encoding links, so I apologize in advance for all the long links!

Thank you, Shannon. You post really helps me. I'll only offer him more BM from a bottle is he starts showing signs that it is not enough for him; he has always been content with his 4-5 oz. Thanks again

I agree... And you can ask your dcp to wait 5 minutes after the 4 or 5 oz. bottle to see if your baby is still hungry, before giving more. I think their tummies don't quite get the "full" signal as fast as we think.
    for 1-1/2 years...and still going!

Another idea that I did and got from my local leader was to make differing amounts. My dd got a smaller bottle in the morning like 4 oz., then a bigger bottle for her 2nd like 5-5 1/2 oz. and then a 2 1/2-3 oz. closer to when I was going to pick her up b/c I had trouble pumping "enough" for what she was demanding. This really kicked in when she was about 5 or 6 months old and like others said, once she became better at solids (which we waited until 8 months to start), it wasn't so difficult, but the differing amounts definitely helped my situation.

Megan