Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: When did your child start solids?

Default When did your child start solids?

I started my first child on solids around 6 months. I'm not sure when to start with my second.

Default Re: When did your child start solids?

I would go by what your child is telling you. I tried to start my daughter at six months, but she really didn't want to eat solids. She was showing intrests in our food, but not in actually eating her food. So you can always give it a try at six months and if the baby shows no interest, try again in a week or two. My daughter was ready by 8 months. Don't stress over exactly WHEN after the six month mark. You little one will know when he/she is ready!

We started experimenting a bit with solids around 6 months, but I'd say things didn't really get going until about 8 or 9 months when she could put things into her mouth by herself. She pretty much hated any cereals or pureed baby foods. We just waited until she could put soft peas, diced cooked carrots, etc in her mouth by herself.

i started rice cereal mixed with jarred fruit at 4 months. our BFing relationship is still great and he is now 6.5 months and on about two stage 2 jars and cereal for breakfast and two stage 2 jars without cereal for dinner. he is also eating fruit puffs, cherrios and chunked banana. he has had an isuue with his weight sonce birth. he stays out of the RED zone but is so borderlining it, so i felt he needed to start earlier and he was definitely ready!

feel your child out. 6 months is a good age to start if they will take it. this helps a little with a schedule as well, a more morning, afternoon, night thing. i know christian has been taking better naps, but still does night feedings which i don't mind.
    ~~ Valarie ~~
    wife to matt
    mommy to
    ricky 2.9.03, christian 6.28.05, baby olive due JAN 2008

We started offering DD solids at 6 months. Not pushing her, just making them available everyday. She is close to 7 months now and she is just starting to accept them. We are eating about a teaspoon or two a day. She had ALL the signs of readiness, except she wasn't interested in food. She is still figuring out how to lean forward and open her mouth at the same time. We started with bananas and the moved to sweet potatoes and then applesauce and oatmeal. Right now, she seems to prefer oatmeal!

About six months. We started with sweet potatoes, then pears and peaches I think. She was eating them once a day until around 10 months, at which point we stepped it up and added a meal (based on interest)

My son had absolutely no interest in solid food until he was almost 16 months old. Yes, 16 months old!

My only advice to you is listen to your child. If they aren't ready at 6 months, it's not a big deal. My breastmilk was able to sustain my big boy (off the growth charts until 18 months when he leveled out) for well over a year.

With my daughter, now 6, I did the Italian thing and at 4 months I let her try something (rice cereal, fruit) at one of the meals, while breastfeeding the rest of the time and the rest of the meal. She didn't like the cereals but she loved the fruit. She seemed ready though, she was really curious about food etc, and while she didn't seem to enjoy the cereal very much, she tried with without too much fuss, and she was really excited when we introduced fruits and veggies.

Now I'm expecting my 2nd and I don't have any specific plans, I think I'll play it by ear and see. If the baby seems happy breastfeeding exclusively I'll wait.

LLLJacqui is offline Shares Widely And Frequently

DD was almost 8 months before she started to reach out and grab stuff, which is when we figured it was time. Prior to that... around 5 months or so, she wanted a spoon, but if we gave her a plastic baby spoon to play with, she didn't want food - she was content with the spoon! So, it was almost 3 months later before she actually wanted the food. I was just of the opinion that if she's ready for it, she'll grab for it. In fact, I changed pediatricians when they tried to get me to start solids at 4 months... I told them that if they couldn't follow the guidelines of their own professional organization (the American Academy of Pediatrics says 6 months of only breastmilk or formula), then what else weren't they up to date on..? It concerned me...

Anyway, we've had no problems with food issues... I was told, by that same pediatric office, that if we didn't start her on solids at 4 months, she would have "food aversions"... ummmm... hardly!

Jacqui

First offered at 7 mo. Actually started being interested, 9 mo. Almost 1 yo and still waiting for her to eat on a regular basis.