Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: When did your child start solids?

Default Re: When did your child start solids?

First sampling was 8 months, but interest was lost. Solids weren't of any interest again until 15-16 months of age.

Weight has never been an area of concern -- 95% in all areas.

As others have said, respect your individual child. Sometimes they wait because they have allergies. That was the case here anyways. I am humbled by my dd's innate intelligence in this matter.

First child I started at 6-1/2 months. She lots insterest soon after, but got really interested again around 10 months.

Second child has food allergies and sensitivities. Started sampling food at 10 months (mouthing/suking them but not ingesting solids), started eating solids at 14 months.

With both kids, we didn't make pureed foods. They went straight to table food with no problems.

I too am amazed at how my kids paced themselves with solid foods, according to their individual needs. It's amazing how much you can learn from them by just sitting back and observing.

hey good question!
    my baby was born 3 months prematurely and when do i start him on solids?

I would look for the "ready" signs. Sits unassisted and does not fall over. Reaches for your spoon and shows interest in food , Keep in mind though that babies show a want for everything at this age, your keys, cell phone, magazine and food. At least 6 months old etc. Also it is always a good practice to bf 1st and then offer the solids. I really like the book called "Super Baby Foods"

Quote Originally Posted by zalita
    hey good question!
    my baby was born 3 months prematurely and when do i start him on solids?
    Babies who are born prematurely do not have the same iron stores as full-term babies. Talk to your Dr about your options, since she will have a greater need of iron ealerier than if she had been term. This does not mean she will need solids before she is ready, though. You could have her iron levels checked around 6 mo and see how you stand. (Full term babies have iron stores to last until at least 9-12 mo.)

my daughter had a few nibbles from 7 months, but it was mostly chewing and not eatin/swallowing on. she didn't show much interest until about 10 months. i never pushed her to eat or spoon-fed so it wasn't an issue for us. from about 10-12 months her interest peaked and now at 12 1/2 months she's mostly just nursing again.
    Last edited by UmmAmatillah; February 20th, 2006 at 11:46 AM.