Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: When did your child start solids?

Default Re: When did your child start solids?

we started a little after the 6 month mark. DS isn't terribly interested in much other than bananas, so we introduce new things every few days. But if he doesn't like it, we don't push it. He's 8 months now and starting to enjoy a few more things, but still not eating "meals."

My first was just 10 days short of 6 months when we started him on solids. He was nursing constantly and showing good signs that he was ready for solids. He took right to it, though he wanted everything pureed and didn't like textures at all. He also didn't handle cereal (storebought or homemade) well until he was 9 or 10 months old, so we just did fruits and veggies until then.

My current nursling was about 6 months when we offered solids the first time. She wasn't terribly interested, so we held off and offered here and there. Suddenly, at about 7 months, she became very aware of solids, and now we can't eat anything in front of her, LOL. She knows and she is not appeased with a toy or a spoon. In fact, I really have to watch it because she'll eat just about anything we give her! And I have to keep reminding my 2 1/2 yr old that "only Mommy and Daddy get to feed the baby!"

Jen
    "Mothers are designed to be available to their babies--to help them make the transition into this big, wide world. To teach them to trust, and love, and feel good about being alive."
    --Elizabeth N. Baldwin, Esq., So I Nursed Him Every 45 Minutes

Click here to find your local LLL Group
    How to tell if your breastfed baby is getting enough milk!

My son is 14 months old now and we started solids at 6 months. We made it kind of like a party, a special day... I mixed organic brown rice cereal with my milk and fed it to him with a spoon. He took a few mouthfuls and spit out the rest! I think he was partially ready but when I look back I think it would not hurt if we'd waited a little longer anyway. He got to liking food quite a bit and then went through 3 long months of intense teething (got 2 teeth per month) and really did not want to eat much at all. Now we're trying more table food.

I think it's more important to watch your baby for signs of readiness than the calendar although I watched the calendar too. I'll probably do things a little differently for the next one!

Around 6 months my son started showing signs he was ready and we started him on bananas. He still only takes a tablespoon or two at a feeding but loves to play in the food! I'm in no big rush...he's growing to fast anyway!
    Kristie L.
    LLL Leader
    (the poster formerly known as fezzik812)
    Wife to Brett, Mommy to Seamus (5.1.05), and Emelie (1.18.08)
    "You must be the change you wish to see in the world."- Ghandi

Thanks everyone!
    We have a GREAT BF thing going on and don't want to interrupt it if I dont have to.

Hi! Bc of our food allergies, we started after 6 months. Now even at 8 1/2 months, Thomas only has a few bites here and there. I do make his food, which I enjoy but is not for everyone. I would defintley wait on the sitting all alone, anassisted before you start. Also beware of the store bought puffs and biter biscutes, they have BUTTER and MILK. Who would have thought? Stores like Earth Fare have some great alternatives. Happy Nursing!

Yes, first and foremost Breastmilk is your childs sole nurishment for atleast the 1st year. Really any food is just exploritory, getting to know about textures, other taste ect...

After 6 months, most babies don't need pureed or jarred foods. Those foods were developed by baby food manufacturers years ago when parents were told to start at 6 weeks. Of course the consistency had to be that of milk (practically)! At that age it was nigh impossible to "feed" a baby solids. If a baby makes it to the half-year mark and is showing all the signs of readiness he will do just fine with small pieces of soft and ripe fruit such as banana or pear, small pieces of soft, baked sweet potato, or soft pieces of avacado.

I'll never forget when we first gave dd banana. One of the first times, my MIL was over and I took a ripe banana and chunked it in pieces the size of my pinky and just tossed them on the tray of her booster seat. My MIL said to me something like "THAT is the way you are feeding her?", not mean, just surprised. And I think I said, "No, she is feeding herself!" I think I saw a small light bulb go on in her head! Of course this is after 3 months of her asking when were we going to start giving her REAL food!

I tried starting pureed foods at 6 months. She kept refusing until 10 months. Now, she still won't eat puree, but she will eat anything we eat chopped up into bite size pieces.

Quote Originally Posted by LLLJacqui
    Anyway, we've had no problems with food issues... I was told, by that same pediatric office, that if we didn't start her on solids at 4 months, she would have "food aversions"... ummmm... hardly! Jacqui
    Oh my! Were you at the ped that I'm stuck at? she said the same things!

My boys got the standard 'intro cereal at 4 months' but I've become so much more informed (but with a long way to go!) and Rachel got her first tastes at 7 mo and still has little interest. We give her finger foods to play with so she's included at meal times.