Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: question about latch

Default question about latch

My little one is 4 wks and was born at 34 wks. He has been taking a bittle since he was in the nicu becasue we didn't have much success at bf. He started bf a wk after he was home but he is tounge tied and he was not latching properly and was flatening one side of my nipple out. Needless to say after 24 hours I bf a few times a day and pumped the rest. He seems to not be confused btw the two...but I have thrush and am giving him formula. I have not bf him for about 1 wk and am afraid that he will not bf once his tounge is clipped and once I get the thrus cleared up. Any ideas?

Plus since he is tounge tied it appears that when he takes the bottle that his upper lip completely is sucked in. I tried to get him to take the bottle w/ his lip out but he doesn't seem to be able to suck once it is out. Is it normal for it to be in? (dumb question but no idea) He seem to be ok at the brest just doesn't latch properly.

Default Re: question about latch

Welcome to the boards! Congrats on your new arrival!

Is there a reason you're not currently breastfeeding? Are you concerned about thrush?

Have you seen an IBCLC? If not, I would suggest looking for an IBCLC (specificly someone who is knowledgeable about sucking issues) for support.

Please do keep us updated!

Default Re: question about latch

Is there a reason you're not currently breastfeeding? Are you concerned about thrush?

Part of the reason is I am afraid of reinfecting him until we are both treated. He sees the ped tomorrow. That and becasuse of the way that he sucks he either flaten the nipple completely or just one side of it. Needless to say it hurts so bad that I just want ot scream not only when he latches but as he is nursing. I am waiting for the referral to have his tounge taken care of since he is tounge tied and was told that once thatis take care of we should be fine.
    Have you seen an IBCLC? If not, I would suggest looking for an IBCLC (specificly someone who is knowledgeable about sucking issues) for support.

I have not seen a ibclc. I have spoken w/ the lactation at the hospital and they said there is nothing thath tey can due to help until his tounge is taken care of. The ped reffered us to an ENT for his tounge.