Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Napless 7 week old

Default Napless 7 week old

I have a 7 week old girl who will not nap during the day. She'll nurse to the milk coma but snap right out of it and wake up as soon as I put her down. She sleeps well at night. She'll start sleeping at 9PM. I wake her up for a diaper change and to nurse at 11PM and she'll sleep until 5-5:30AM, nurse for an hour and then sleep for a couple to three more hours. I'm extremely lucky at night and just want to make sure that there isn't a problem. Does anyone know if this behavior is harmful and if there is something I should do to encourage her to nap during the day or do I just have a wakeful baby girl?

Default Re: Napless 7 week old

my son is like this! as long as shes not screaming, your ok! have you tried a swing? or maybe babywearing? does she nap in the car?

For the most part she stays alert in the swing, the car, and the carrier but will occasionally nap in each for 10-20 minutes. She seems content - I just wanted to make sure it wasn't a problem. I love the fact that she lets me sleep so I don't mind. Some afternoons she gets really cranky and tired but will fight it for some reason. I'm happy to know that there are other babies that are the same way. Her doctor says she should be napping in the mornings and afternoons but also said it's possible that she's getting all the sleep she needs at night if she doesn't want to be sleeping during the day.

my ds (now 9 weeks) did the same thing around the 5/6 week. after that, he'll take about 45 min naps. if she looks really tired try to swaddle her really good, I've recently been swaddling the past two weeks, and he'll now take his naps. another suggestion is try to play before feeding (so that she's tired) when you ffed, then she'll nod off to sleep (that's what i've been doing too, and it seems to work!).

My 6 month old doesn't really nap either, and he doesn't sleep as well at night as yours! Even as a newborn, I never got the sleep during the day that you're supposed to get. I would definitely suggest babywearing if you need to have your hands free. There's a forum on this site and thebabywearer.com has tons of great info! Congrats on all the sleep at night!

My baby is only two weeks old and I'm running into the same exact problem. She dozes off when I feed her, then as soon as I burp her and put her in her crib, she wakes up and starts fussing. I'll leave her in there for a little bit - just to see if she'll fuss herself to sleep - but she never does. So I end up holding her the entire day. It's exhausting!! Wish I knew what to do to get her to sleep during the day more!

My LO naps after about 2 hours of being up, so what I've done since he was 3 months when everything seems to get better is the following...I based it on the baby whisperer's E.A.S.Y routine

I feed him, include some form of activity (reading, talking to him or time on the bouncer, then I lay him down in his crib / play pen and eventually he falls asleep. The Y stands for you time. It's been working, so I'd recommend it
    Mom to Colin Robert - Born on January 28, 2007

Check out my website:
    www.nycbreastfeeding.com

I could've written this post. In fact, I did write something very similar. Over and over and over on many desperate posts. Except I was exasperated and tired and really, really wanted my baby to sleep! And each time the lovely ladies of the forum would calm me down. You might want to search for those posts, because their advice was great.

Now, if your LO is totally content and doesn't seem sleepy or overtired throughout the day or by bedtime, then you can disregard everything I'm about to say here. Maybe your LO is getting plenty of cumulative sleep, even if most of it is at night. It's just that my understanding is that most babies this young do need frequent naps throughout the day, and my mistake was in assuming my LO didn't need the sleep because she was so alert. I'll share my experience just in case it's helpful to you or someone else.

Haley would not sleep at all during the day, and after a week or so of this behavior, she was getting F-U-S-S-Y by evening. (She slept great at night, though, just like your LO.) We thought at first that she was just a very alert baby (which she is) and that she just didn't need the sleep. I figured that she would sleep when she was tired, like a lot of young babies do. When the fussing started to get out of hand, we figured it was colic or gas or ...

Then, after I did some reading, the lightbulb went on for me. I discovered that we were missing her sleepy signs and that her fussing was caused by being overtired. Even though she was sleepy, she wasn't able to fall asleep on her own like I thought she would. She needed help. I discovered that she would sleep really well in the swing or the sling, and once we started getting her to take naps (with no more than an hour or two in between, which is how often she started to act sleepy and exactly what the books recommended too), she was a totally different baby. She was a well-rested baby!

At first she would only sleep a few minutes at a time, but she has gotten better and is now sleeping at least 45 minutes at a time, sometimes 2-3 hours in the afternoon. And she's finally started napping in my arms as well, and not just in the swing.

My point? Try to watch your LO for drowsy signs and help her sleep if you can. Of course, you can't force a baby to sleep. But you can do things to help them sleep, even if it's hit or miss sometimes. You might try napping with your baby or wearing her while she sleeps, if it seems like the putting down in the crib is what's bugging her.

Even if the lack of naps is not a problem for you, know that she will outgrow this phase and start sleeping better at some point. That's what everyone told me when I posted (many, many times!) about my naptime frustrations, and they were right. We're still having the occasional rough day, but her sleep has definitely changed just in the last week.

And, like I said, if you and baby are fine, then you can ignore everything I said.

Sorry for the ridiculously long post. (I'm afraid I'm probably getting notorious for them. I'm a writer by nature and by training, and I have trouble shutting up! )
    I love my kids. I care for them accordingly. What more can I say?

Thank you! She has napped well the past two days -- I've got my fingers crossed. One nap was a result of my husband slowdancing with her on his chest a couple of other times I napped with her.

I'm thinking it has to do with my activity level. I have to learn to slow down and relax more often - she seems to follow suit.

She also slept through the night (11pm to 6am) on Tuesday. I'm thinking she is very possibly sleep deprived. Now I go back to work on Monday and I'm seriously worried about her sleeping enough... I'm a wreck about it.

Only way my LO will take a nap (at 9 weeks) is I nap with him (which I do everyday) or I walk him around. although if I leave the bed or try to put him down - he is INSTANTLY awake. took us a while to realize he was so fussy and angry because he was overtired. Wonder how he is going to manage when I go back to work and DH cant boob him to sleep