Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Reflux?

Smile Reflux?

What os the difference between reflux and spitting up? Thanks!

Default Re: Reflux?

Spitting up can be caused by a food allergy (often dairy) or just because baby eats a little more than his tiny stomach can handle. (His stomach is about as big as his fist, so there's not much room in there!) Spitting up can also happen when an air bubble gets trapped under the milk. When the bubble comes up, so does the milk.

Reflux happens when the valve at the top of the esophagus hasn't totally developed and the contents of the stomach get "refluxed" back up. This is still spitting up, but it has a different cause and it can cause pain or burning, like heartburn, for the LO. "Normal" spitting up will not be uncomfortable for the baby, but LO will usually react strongly if it's reflux.

Most babies have some small amount of reflux until the valve matures, but some babies have major cases of it. A lot of times peds will prescribe Zantac to help with it.

Dr. Sears has a very good section about reflux in The Baby Book, if that helps.
    I love my kids. I care for them accordingly. What more can I say?

heres a good link!
    http://www.lalecheleague.org/FAQ/ger.html
    spitting up is more of a laundary problem then a medical one.
    Sometimes tweeking how baby is fed helps with spitting up.
    are you worried about your baby?
    Could you tell us more about her spitting up?

Quote Originally Posted by andrea_ohio View Post
    heres a good link!
    http://www.lalecheleague.org/FAQ/ger.html
    spitting up is more of a laundary problem then a medical one.
    Sometimes tweeking how baby is fed helps with spitting up.
    are you worried about your baby?
    Could you tell us more about her spitting up?
    No, I'm not really worried about her. She doesn't spit up after every feed, it's just once in awhile. Generally what happens is after the feed, I'll put her down and about 15 or so mins later she gets somewhat restless and then spits up. Sometimes when I swaddle her... if she isn't sleepy enough she'll fight it and wiggle her way out of the swaddle which is usually when she spits up. Generally it's dime to quarter size... no big thing.

Thanks so much. Being in the NICU for 23 days, I noticed that a lot of preemies had 'reflux' and that makes sense from a development standpoint.