Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Manual pump - Isis or Harmony?

Default Manual pump - Isis or Harmony?

I have a Ameda PY that I use at work, but I want to get a hand pump to use once a night so I don't have to drag my big pump back and forth to work every day (I have a long walk.)

I've looked into it and have narrowed it down to either the Avent Isis manual or the Medala Harmony. Any recommendations or reviews? Thanks!

Default Re: Manual pump - Isis or Harmony?

Well, the Harmony and Isis work similarly. The Harmony has a button up top that you can use to cause quick bursts for the vacuum (let-down mode). Then you can switch back to the trigger. The Isis has the trigger, and it has the soft silicone petals in the breastshield (if you think you would find that more comfortable or increase let-down).

I'm not much help, am I? They are both very good pumps and they are similarly priced. I don't think you could go wrong with whichever you choose.

I have the Avent ISIS. I love it. I have only had to use it a few times when I didn't have the ability to use my electric pump. If I were to recommend a manual pump, that would be it. HTH!

I have the Medela Harmony and like it just fine. Haven't used it much, but had no problems with it when I did. I liked that I could mimic baby's nursing patterns with the short, quick sucks at first and then the longer sucks after. My LC recommended this pump, as did a friend of mine.

Sounds like either one would work, so you'll just have to decide which one you think is prettier.
    I love my kids. I care for them accordingly. What more can I say?

I have not tried the Harmony, love my Isis manual. I used it often instead of my double electric. It was so fast and efficient for me!

Molly

Loving mama to JP (DS, 1/03 ~ nursed 6 mos), EL (DD1, 9/05 ~ nursed 4 yrs), EJ (DD2, 3/08 ~ nursed 3 yrs 9 mos), and
    JM (DD3, 6/12 ~ currently nursing), all born naturally
    Devoted wife to SAHD P, my hero
    A few of my favorite things that I've discovered on the forum: co-sleeping, baby-wearing, tandem nursing, baby-led solids, cloth diapering, APing, selective vaccination...the list goes on

I have the ISIS and it’s great for me but it’s the only pump I’ve ever used so I can’t compare it to anything else. I have a 4 month old and I work full time and pump three times a day with it and this is my second child and I’m still using the same pump. I get great results from it. This morning I just pumped a total of 16 oz. in a half hour. (I don’t always get 16 oz. at one pumping, but the Monday morning pumping always yields the most.) I contemplated getting a double electric pump to help cut down on the time, but I couldn’t justify spending the money when the ISIS is working so well for me.

I used the Harmony with my twins. I love that pump, the flanges are so soft and it is easy to clean and carry with you. I was able to get the same amount of milk with this as I was with the Pump In Style.

Mom to - 6 yrs, 4 yrs, and twins 3 years

Check out my Work at Home Job Here

I used the Harmony. I had read (Isis users, correct me if I'm wrong) that the Isis had a lot of parts to clean. Harmony is really easy. I bought it because we were away from home, and I needed to relieve myself! It worked as well as my PIS, except that I had to do one at a time vs. two with the PIS.

Hope that helps!