Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Is there a difference between low-supply and low / slow let-down?

Default Is there a difference between low-supply and low / slow let-down?

I've always heard (and been irritated by) the phrase "You never run out of milk." Of couse, this refers to "normal" supply moms, not those of us with surfical / anatomical / hormonal issues low supply, right?

I mean, technically I guess I could say I never run out of milk, it just comes out really, really, really slowly. Like trying to fill a bathtub from a dripping faucet. You could say that the faucet was flowing, right? Just really slowly?

I mean I hear about OALD (overactive let down) and oversupply as the same thing. Is there an underactive let down? I don't mean the sensation of let-down, just the actual MER (milk ejection reflex?)

Default Re: Is there a difference between low-supply and low / slow let-down?

Bump!

Actually, oversupply and overactive let down are not the same thing. It's that oversupply and overactive let down usually go hand-in-hand -- if mom has oversupply issues she typically has an overactive let down as well. But not always.

I've never heard of an underactive let down but I will look into it further. If I find anything to the contrary then I'll be sure to post.

Also, the "never run out of milk" thing has more to do with how milk is made by the body. Again, I can't say with 100% certainty but I think that even when mom has low supply, she still never truly runs out of milk.

May I ask how you know that your milk comes out really slowly?

Overactive letdown and oversupply ARE two distinct things, though they often do go hand in hand.

There is a such thing as inhibited letdown (slow letdown) and that might be what you are experiencing. Slow letdown in and of itself does not mean low supply.

If you think you're experiencing slow letdown, there are some things that can help: conditioning your letdown response (remember Pavlov's experiment from science class?), relaxation techniques, visualization techniques (some mothers imagine a waterfall rushing forth from their breasts), warmth, massage, and breast compressions. The link below is NOT a LLL resource, but does go into to great detail:
    http://www.kellymom.com/bf/supply/letdown.html