Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: What does frozen BM smell & taste like?

Red face What does frozen BM smell & taste like?

I've been using my stash of frozen BM and each time I thaw it, it has a weird smell to it. (I thaw it under cool water, pour it in a bottle, then store it in the fridge and warm it when I'm ready to use it.) The smell isn't bad, it's just kind of odd. It's hard to explain... if I had to describe it, I'd say it kind of smells like a light, burnt plastic smell. It smells like this after I thaw it and after I warm it. When I taste it, it doesn't taste sour. It takes kinda of sweet, but weird (not sure how BM is supposed to taste though). Does this sound normal for frozen BM? My fresh BM doesn't have a smell to it.

Also, is it bad to use frozen BM that has a little bit of freezer burn?

Default Re: What does frozen BM smell & taste like?

This is a really good question.
    My lo doesn't seem to like the tatse of it. When I tried giving her some she would wrinkle her little face a put her thumb in her mouth so I can't feed her anymore.
    I wonder how it changes after it's been frozen.

I seem to remember my bm tasting/smelling different from fresh, too. Not bad, but different. When frozen, the cell membranes will burst and I always attributed the different taste to that.

If you think it tastes a little soapy, or "off," you may have excess lipase. I don't have experience with this, but some mamas here may be able to chime in with more expertise on the subject.

HTH!

Hmmm...what kind of container are you storing in? Where in the freezer are you storing it? And what type of freezer is it?

The milk was originally stored in a side-by-side freezer, in the back. Then I transfered it to a deep freezer. It's only been 3 months since I've stored it. When I freeze it, I store it in Lansinoh freezer bags. I thaw it in the bags, then transfer the thawed milk into Medela bottles. Once I'm ready to feed, I warm the milk in the Medela bottle, then pour it into a Born Free bottle to feed him.