Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: drying up in one breast? please help

Default drying up in one breast? please help

Is it possible to dry up in one breast and not the other. I have always had more milk in the left breast than the right but now it seems that I really have NO milk in my RT. I also have noticed I decrease in my left as well. I had to stop eating dairy due to my sons lack of bowel movements and severe stomach pains. I am also on WW but I am eating the required amount of food for breast feeding mothers. Also I am pumping more now than I have ever have, trying to increase my milk supply. I want more than anything to breast feed and I am getting nervous b/c it seems like my milk is drying up or at least getting lower and lower. Could someone please help.

Jenn

Default Re: drying up in one breast? please help

Hi Jenn,
    I can understand your concern about your supply.

It would help if we had a little more information on your situation.

How old is DS?
    Do you exclusively pump, BF or both?
    How often in 24 hours does ds nurse?
    Solids?
    Have you recently started birth control?
    Could you be pregnant?

That's all for now! I will look for your reply.

Take care,

How old is DS?
    Solids?
    Could you be pregnant?

How old is DS?
    Solids?
    Could you be pregnant?

My son is 9 weeks, I have since he was 3 weeks fed him about 4-8 ounces of formula a day, in addition to my milk but since 5 days ago I have just started feeding him just from my breast no formula. He has a intolerance to dairy so at 3 weeks I didn't know this and thought maybe that he wasn't getting enough blah blah blah and I introduced him to formula. About 2 weeks ago I stopped eating ALL dairy and he is fine so I stopped with formula and now just breast feeding. Ummm as for how much does he nurse in 24 hours I would say about every 2-3 hours for any time between 10-25 minutes alternating breast after each feeding. As for birth control I just started the pill the low hormone version a week ago. No there is NO way I could be pregnant. However I talked to a friend today and she told me that I was suppose to still take my prenatal vitamins I was never told that. Should I still take prenatal or is any vitamins ok? Thanks for taking time out to answer my question.

Jenn

Ok...thanks for those answers!

So how have things been going without the supplement? If you stopped feeding him that formula supplement 5 days ago it would follow that he would increase his feedings, thereby increasing your supply. Do you think this has happened in the past 5 days? (I realize your original message is a concern for lowered supply, but I am still wondering!)

How have his bowel movements/wet diapers been since stopping the supplement?

I am wondering if you could describe for me a little more about why you believe things have decreased (in both sides, but more drastically in the RT side). What signs are telling you there is a decrease?

Most mothers do not find that a change in nutritional habits will decrease milk supply. Even mothers in the poorest societies with the most depleted nutrition can maintain a full supply, so it would not be very common for someone in your situation to have supply affected by WW or lack of prenatal vitamins. I would suggest discussing with your midwife or ob/gyn which vitamins to continue to take. I know many mothers who do feel more comfortable taking some type of vitamin while nursing and others who don't feel they need it at all.

http://www.lalecheleague.org/FAQ/diet.html

Your milk supply is built on the supply/demand theory. So if you are taking the milk out, you body should be getting the signal to make more. It is very rare for a breast to just stop producing milk.

Finally, do you know the name of the contraception you are taking? Just to make sure...

There are a few reasons why I think that my milk may not be coming in as much as before, for one my son nurses of my rt for only 5 or so minutes then he cries and keeps coming off and on like he is frustrated. When he does this I change him to the other breast and he is fine. I have tried to pump more and more from my rt side to try to increase my supply and not a lot of milk comes out at all. I can also feel and see a difference in my rt breast then my left. My rt one feels like jello, if you will while my left is firm.

As for diapers he always has a wet diaper and I change him every 2-3 hours or on a need be basis. His bowel movements are about once every 4 days.

The name of my pills are Loestrin 24, are these ok. I spoke with my OBGYN and told him that I was breast feeding and he said that they were fine, what do you think?

I have noticed that Landon (my son) eats more frequently now that I have stopped the formula. He seems to be doing fine, but I am just nervous that my milk is decreasing. When I had my daughter I breast fed but after 4 months my milk dried up and I didn't even know that it had. I was a first time mom and I went on a crash diet when she was about 4 or 5 months old and it effected my milk so I just want to make sure it doesn't happen again and since I didn't even know it then I am more aware now and might be just paranoid but I rather be safe then sorry.

Thanks
    Jenn

OK...for instance. I fed Landon around 5:30 pm can't remember what side. I fed him agian at 8:00pm from a bottle of breast milk. I had defrosted it earlier today b/c I was gone for a few hours but he never ate it so I gave it to him so it would go to waste so I just pumped at 10:30 and I got 3 ounces from my left and NOTHING from my rt. Even if I pumped from my rt at 5:30 I should of still got something. When I am home I try to pump as much as I can but where he is eating more often now that he isn't getting formula it is a bit harder. I also try to pump (when I am home) after I feed him.

Quote Originally Posted by ahunter97 View Post
    There are a few reasons why I think that my milk may not be coming in as much as before, for one my son nurses of my rt for only 5 or so minutes then he cries and keeps coming off and on like he is frustrated. When he does this I change him to the other breast and he is fine. I have tried to pump more and more from my rt side to try to increase my supply and not a lot of milk comes out at all. I can also feel and see a difference in my rt breast then my left. My rt one feels like jello, if you will while my left is firm.

As for diapers he always has a wet diaper and I change him every 2-3 hours or on a need be basis. His bowel movements are about once every 4 days.

The name of my pills are Loestrin 24, are these ok. I spoke with my OBGYN and told him that I was breast feeding and he said that they were fine, what do you think?

I have noticed that Landon (my son) eats more frequently now that I have stopped the formula. He seems to be doing fine, but I am just nervous that my milk is decreasing. When I had my daughter I breast fed but after 4 months my milk dried up and I didn't even know that it had. I was a first time mom and I went on a crash diet when she was about 4 or 5 months old and it effected my milk so I just want to make sure it doesn't happen again and since I didn't even know it then I am more aware now and might be just paranoid but I rather be safe then sorry.

Thanks
    Jenn
    Hi Jenn,
    Here is a link on BC. It is not an LLL resource.
    http://www.kellymom.com/health/meds/birthcontrol.html

According to Medications and Mothers Milk, by Hale (2006) bf mothers should attempt to wait until lactation is firmly established (6-8 weeks) before using estrogen containing oral contraceptives. He lists some studies where supply has been suppressed in some women. I cannot tell you to take or not take certain medications. This is something I would suggest you discuss with your physician.

It does sound like Landon prefers your left side as opposed to your right, and therefore he nurses more on the left which keeps the supply up on the left and doesn't want the right as much, so supply is lower and then he nurses less. See the cycle? There can be a variety of reasons for this and if it doesn't bother you then it is not a problem. Many babies really only nurse on one side and do just fine. Just as moms of twins can feed babies with two breasts, moms of singletons can feed with one breast!

Let me know how you feel about this...

Thanks....I guess as long as he is getting enough from one breast I shouldn't worry. Thanks.

Jenn

You're welcome. I wish you all the best.