Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: nursing position changes for growing toddler?

Default nursing position changes for growing toddler?

How has your nursing position changed with your growing toddler? My 14 month old just went through a big growth spurt and it's no longer comfortable to support her on my lap with just one arm and my lap (unless I'm cross-legged). It's starting to become difficult to handle her length! We've never been comfortable nursing while lying down.

Default Re: nursing position changes for growing toddler?

Landon is 16 months old and is quite the acrobatic nurser. My favorite way to nurse him is still in the cradle position on the Boppy. I never had one before and my Mom bought it for me before he was born. He still nurses and naps on it everyday.

Alot of the time, I find myself laying on the floor with him sitting beside me nursing on whichever breast is furthest away from the floor. He's even been known to stand behind me, while draped over my side and nursing upside down. He is a clown.

If you have a pillow you could use, it would help support her a bit so it is more comfortable for both of you.

Pam

I'm nursing a 20-month daughter, and mostly we're still lying down; that worked for me. But one other position which now works fine, though it seems a little weird, is with her body parallel to mine. I sit down or lie down, and she sits or lies in my lap facing me, and nurses like that. It means you don't have to prop the baby up with your arm, just cuddle.

carter has found a position that looks a little funny but works for us...he sits next to me (kind of in the position he is in when we are laying down) and i just put my arm around and snuggle him into me. i turn my body a little in his direction (because although the nipples seem to stretch freakishly far from the body, its more comfortable to stretch them a little less!). i think he also likes this way better because he isn't just staring at me, he can see whats going on in the room around him. if i try to nurse his in my lap with the boppy, every time he hears a noise, he unlatches and twists around.

My 22mo old son has a new one this month. He straddles my lap facing me, which puts him at just the right height. He wraps his arms around me and hugs while he nurses. It's really sweet. But we're all over the place most of the time. I find 1/2 laying on the couch, propped on a big pillow works when he just feels too heavy to hold in my arms. Good luck!

As soon as Konur and Mali could sit up they were nursing like that with one leg on either side of my leg. Even at 5, Konur still nurses that way.
    Lori )O(
    Extended nursing, home birthing, unschooling, Nursing Necklace making, WAHM to Konur 3-11-01 and Mali 6-16-04
    Leave Nursing Necklaces Feedback Here

My daughter used to be quite the acrobat and I could get her to nurse about any way I wanted. In the past year though she has become very rigid and will only nurse in the cradle hold or in bed. If I'm not comfortable I tell her I'm done and we stop. She is almost 3 1/2 though.

Anne