Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: used to take bottle fine, but now...

Default used to take bottle fine, but now...

My son will be twelve weeks old on Monday when I will be returning to work full time and my husband will be at home with the him. We are having trouble getting him to take his breast milk from a bottle.

When he was four dyas old with jaundice and 10% weight loss we supplemented with EBM and formula for a few days. He went between the breast and bottle with no problems whatsoever. After he gained a pound in five days we went back to breast exclusively for a bit, then started giving him bottles of EBM again once every day or two. He took them just fine.

We stepped it up this week to get ready for my return to work, and now he absolutely hates the bottle. I think he only took about an ounce from it on Wednesday. Yesterday he took three ounces a couple of times, slowly but without so much fuss. Today the plan was to give him three straight bottles (what we think he'll need while I'm gone) and then breastfeed for the rest of the day. He took three ounces just fine this morning, but now my husband is struggling to get him to eat the lunch that we know he wants. He's hungry!

There seems to be no rhyme or reason to when he's going to take the bottle and when he shuns it. I've been trying to stay away while he's getting the bottles. It's horrible to hear him crying over food when I know that whipping out a boob would end it immediately.

I know that millions have gone through this before me and that all babies adjust and that he will be fine, no harm done in the end...but how long will it take? I know all babies are different, but what's a worst case scenario here? I'm so worried that my husband's going to have an awful time and that I'll spend my workdays feeling guilty.

Default Re: used to take bottle fine, but now...

Some mothers find that baby won't take a bottle if mom is even in the house. Staying out of the room is not enough.

Daddy can also try some different positions for feeding - upright and facing out, cradle hold, laying down, sitting up, whatever else he can think of.

Baby might also be picking up on the stress you and/or Daddy are feeling about the upcoming schedule change.
    Shannon
    LLL Leader

Protect your privacy online; don't use your full name. Click My Alias at the top left corner.

I'm horrible at html and encoding links, so I apologize in advance for all the long links!

My LO went on frequent "bottle strikes" when she first started daycare. She would eat maybe 2-3 oz the entire time she was at daycare (6-7 hours). She never got a bottle at home. I'm a teacher, and after every 3-day weekend or break, she'd refuse the bottle again for a week or so. I worried about it a lot, but she was essentially waiting for me and still got all she needed. She just nursed more in the evenings/at night.

Your son might reverse cycle for awhile, and only get his milk from you. But he'll make sure he gets what he needs. Good luck!
    Bee- proud mama to Maggie, 6/12/06 and Maya, 10/15/08

I was in the exact same situation right before I went back to work at 12 weeks. I did so much worrying when he was refusing bottle, but once I went back to work he took the bottle with no problems and continues to do so all day while I am away. Now we both look forward to when I get home for our cuddling/nursing time together. Good luck and try not to stress (like I did). You will soon find and get used to a routine that works...
    Loving mama to S - 11/06, and F - 1/09

Thanks to you all!

Hey, maybe if he doesn't eat as much during the day and makes up for it when I get home from work in the evenings, hell start sleeping longer at night too. That would be great...being up 2-3 times a night before having to go to work is not going to be fun; it's been hard enough now when I have nothing to do but be home with him.

After barely touching that second bottle today he went nuts on the last one. He ate it all (3.5 ounces) in about a quarter of the time it took for the previous bottle, of which he had less than half. He would have taken more if I'd been able to get it ready soon enough. We'll see what tomorrow brings...even though I plan to have him on the breast as much as possible on weekends we are going to treat this one like it's the workweek and keep him practicing on the bottles with daddy.

I can't believe I have to go back in three days. It felt really strange to walk out knowing I wouldn't be back for three months...I imagine it's going to feel awful going back after all this time.